2 suggestions on ROS 044 in Vbox

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mauro451

2 suggestions on ROS 044 in Vbox

Post by mauro451 »

Hi, just like to highlight two things which worked in my case.

1- make a backup copy of the working directory of ROS installation in Virtual Box, when you reached a configuration step that you consider optimal.
It will be much useful when you will produce an unrecoverable situation (BSOD, not working software impossible to uninstall, an undesired change that cannot be turned back to the initial situation).
It has helped me so much because everything above described happened to me, and replacing the bad working copy with the backup directory -4 minutes- allowed me to have again ReactOs as good as before.
Then, you will go ahead making updated working directories during your configuration improvements with stable system.

2-Could not have Libre Office working after downloaded and installed from the Software Installation items section. It just does not start, without any error message.
Then I have successfully downloaded and installed Softmaker Free Office 2016, good office suite. Works well.
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: 2 suggestions on ROS 044 in Vbox

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

2. You might want t try the latest nightly build of ReactOS as there has been some progress getting Office 2010 work and it should also help get LibreOffice working, too.

https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds

Also, it is probably better to report bugs on ReactOS JIRA tracker: https://jira.reactos.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa
PurpleGurl

Re: 2 suggestions on ROS 044 in Vbox

Post by PurpleGurl »

Actually, the issues in the 2 office programs were different. Microsoft Office required some changes in environment paths and how services worked. That in itself should help a number of installers. Then there was the issue with an outdated security thing, and right now, the fix is a rather kludgy fix where you have to use a 3rd party program that was originally written for Linux to get the support. Other Microsoft Office versions may require other features that we're currently missing (but they can be faked or stubbed for now and might be good enough).