Thoughts on Pre-NT 6.0 Security and it's effect on ReactOS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

commodore256

Thoughts on Pre-NT 6.0 Security and it's effect on ReactOS?

Post by commodore256 »

NT 6.0 (AKA Vista) added a new security "feature" that's still in Windows and that's allowing custom Kernels and Kernel Extensions was disabled because it was a security hole for rootkits. There's multiple perspectives with it with one of them feeling it's safer, but I had a conversation like this with C++ Vs Rust and we came to this conclusion:

[ external image ]

Kernel extensions did so much. You could run software designed for XP, of which third party devs are only recently starting to end support for in Windows 95. Now I feel it's kinda ridiculous to want to use Windows today, but I like how it could make the OS forwards compatible with newer stuff like how the One-Core-API can allow you to run apps designed for Vista in XP, the last consumer version of Windows to support Kernel Extensions. Imagine what kernel extensions could do for Windows 7. Yeah, I know about the hole for rootkits but rootkits doesn't always mean it's bad. You could have a rootkit level firewall giving whoever controls the rootkit so much control over the userspace of the system.

I think it would be a bad idea if ReactOS got rid of kernel extensions instead of a good idea because it's more "secure", but what do you think?
Konata

Re: Thoughts on Pre-NT 6.0 Security and it's effect on React

Post by Konata »

I prefer the security, but it should have the option of being switched off without booting into developer mode.
LuxenDM

Re: Thoughts on Pre-NT 6.0 Security and it's effect on React

Post by LuxenDM »

Give me an example of when Kernel extensions were used in major software - as it is, other than what you claim is a security hole, you havent provided ANY evidence of what it even is, or how it is used appropriately.