ROS Gaming? :D lol

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dimmizer

ROS Gaming? :D lol

Post by Dimmizer »

I've been keeping an eye on this project since I can remember and have never posted lol.

I'm sure it might be awhile but when will ReactOS be able to run more modern games if ever?? Just wondering :D I've been looking for a Windows replacement for years I remember recently looking at different forms of Linux and wine but even that's not as advanced as I thought it would be some 20 years later in my life time.

REALLY excited for this OS either way just would for sure like to get off of windows completely if I can do it.
dizt3mp3r

Re: ROS Gaming? :D lol

Post by dizt3mp3r »

One day. ReactOS is still in alpha.

Donate, assist, help it get there.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Dimmizer

Post by Dimmizer »

thanks for the reply an ill deffo donate once i have a job lol.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

We recently had a topic (of which I can not find atm) about rendering in ReactOS. Obviously, gaming is a big reason why people use Windows. I even suggest the developers should focus the whole .5.x series on getting gaming working. Even Vulkan doesn't have XP drivers that would work with ReactOS, though I heard Vulkan can run on XP if someone made a driver for it. There is also other issues other then rendering, like a proper filesystem. Currently ReactOS uses Fat32, which doesn't handle large file sizes well. So if you think of games like quantum Break or GTA V or other really large games, they probably won't work well, even if we had dx11 working. But we won't be able to get another file system working until the cache manager is finished, which I have been trying to push and sending money to the bounty here: https://www.bountysource.com/issues/265 ... ry-manager

There's also the issue that ReactOS kernel is NT, so OS statistics like Steam charts, market share, etc, all detect ReactOS as XP/2003, so everyone thinks we are all just XP/2003 users. So ReactOS has a hard time advertising itself.

EDIT: Here is the topic where we talked about direct x rendering: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16366
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Most of the time a game has no single file bigger than 4GB and thus FAT32 is fine in theory. Of course we need another FS for proper right management etc, but that is another story. YOu last point cannot be changed, because app have no clue how to handle a unknown WIndows OS.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Quantum break has video files offered in 4K 60fps or 1080p 60fps. While the Store version is through a cloud, the Steam version is not and thus must be loaded to your system. These files are large as they are 30min+ video files. But you are correct nonetheless about most games, for now, do not have large single files.

And I know we can't really do anything about ReactOS being detected as XP, which is why I said that ReactOS has a hard time advertising itself.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi i think most modern games comes on DVD and i do not think reactos supports UDF
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

True that. We have a driver, but it's.... not really working in it's current hacked to build state
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dark

Post by dark »

EmuandCo wrote:Most of the time a game has no single file bigger than 4GB and thus FAT32 is fine in theory. Of course we need another FS for proper right management etc, but that is another story. YOu last point cannot be changed, because app have no clue how to handle a unknown WIndows OS.
isn't there still a bug causing filesystem corruption? Can't really play these games if the disk is corrupted during installation and ROS will only boot into a bluescreen after a certain amount of up time.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Dark, I thought that was fixed. The stuff in the unofficial change log are things that are already fixed, provided you try a recent revision. What you describe was a problem with UniATA, and we have the latest version of that AFAIK.
dsp8195

Post by dsp8195 »

Seamless ReactOS gaming is impossible without the following things:

* Applying patch that allows bigger number of software shader slots - fixes games like The Sims 2 and Jinko Shoujo 3
* Allowing dwmapi and other runtime libraries from Wine that were originally introduced in Vista to co-exist with NT 5.2-alike core - fixes Shantae Half-Genie Hero and Child of Light being unable to run on Windows XP/2k3

The latter part is extremely important, because, let's face it, no matter what you say about idealized applications "getting confused about the version of Windows" once they find the NT 6.x libraries on NT 5.x system, the actual real life software developers don't give a damn about Windows version. They compile against VS2015 or later, so all they care about is if their piece of software works at all. I am myself from the artistic and gaming side of the development world, so I can confirm from the firsthand experience it is indeed the truth.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

EmuandCo wrote:You[r] last point cannot be changed, because app have no clue how to handle a unknown WIndows OS.
CORE-7986 would resolve that.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
dark

Post by dark »

PurpleGurl wrote:Dark, I thought that was fixed. The stuff in the unofficial change log are things that are already fixed, provided you try a recent revision. What you describe was a problem with UniATA, and we have the latest version of that AFAIK.
Still, I'm waiting to hear news about more stability before I attempt to download games greater than 5 GB from steam. I'm pretty much waiting to hear installing on ext2 works before trying again.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

dsp8195 wrote:Seamless ReactOS gaming is impossible without the following things:

* Applying patch that allows bigger number of software shader slots - fixes games like The Sims 2 and Jinko Shoujo 3
* Allowing dwmapi and other runtime libraries from Wine that were originally introduced in Vista to co-exist with NT 5.2-alike core - fixes Shantae Half-Genie Hero and Child of Light being unable to run on Windows XP/2k3

The latter part is extremely important, because, let's face it, no matter what you say about idealized applications "getting confused about the version of Windows" once they find the NT 6.x libraries on NT 5.x system, the actual real life software developers don't give a damn about Windows version. They compile against VS2015 or later, so all they care about is if their piece of software works at all. I am myself from the artistic and gaming side of the development world, so I can confirm from the firsthand experience it is indeed the truth.
It is not about what developers care about. In fact, if they barely know what they are doing, they would be more likely to run into version conflicts. Not all developers know the correct procedures for checking for functions or versions. Windows have been forced to make choices based on the industry mucking up. Like take the PAE thing. With PAE, up to 64 GB of RAM could be addressed on 32-bit machines. But the industry wrote bad drivers or bad firmware and put the devices in addresses that conflict with installed memory.

As for confusion, the problem is supporting the libraries in a piecemeal fashion, I mean, if it finds NT 6.x, it tends to expect it ALL to be there. So what you mention is the very problem. They don't check each newer API for existence and decide which version of code to use at each point and fall back if only the older exists. If they did that, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. But it is not reasonable to expect such a mixture because they never considered it as possible, since most PC users blindly install Windows.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Wed May 31, 2017 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
ReactOS-0.4.5 can read DVD discs i have a copy of heroes of might and magic collection the discs are DVD all but one disc can be read by ReactOS heroes of might and magic v

The Sims 2 if i boot ReactOS in debug mode the try to run the Sims 2 the game detects the debugger but if i do not start ReactOS using the debug mode then try to run the Sims 2 i get please insert the correct CD-Rom