hi im new here

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

romulo27

hi im new here

Post by romulo27 »

Well, this seems kind of odd, i were a loyal windows user for years, but after a time i got tired of windows, then i started looking throught GNU Linux distributions (a problem of my keyboard, i cannot write the slash, or what is it called, i dont know, english is not the best language i speak) and then a friend up on my discord called me and recommended me this, like 2 days ago i think, and i saw this, this is just a awesome OS, like, it manages to run windows applications even not being a linux mimicking windows, when i saw this my mind was like "wow"

This is amazing!
florian

Re: hi im new here

Post by florian »

Unfortunately ReactOS is still alpha in its Software release life cycle (Wikipedia). And alpha software can be unstable, could cause crashes or even data loss - still it is an amazing gleam of hope.
romulo27

Post by romulo27 »

florian wrote:Unfortunately ReactOS is still alpha in its Software release life cycle (Wikipedia). And alpha software can be unstable, could cause crashes or even data loss - still it is an amazing gleam of hope.
im fully aware of that, but the device i use for those tests, isnt my main pc, its a old positivo (brazilian company) laptop that doesnt even run minecraft
florian

Post by florian »

Perfect!
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Thanks to the new guest. I hope you don't lose your enthusiasm for the project. Actually, your English is good enough. I had no difficulty understanding.

As Florian said, this is still alpha. I'm amazed that while we still cannot run on real hardware in many cases, that the momentum keeps building which I credit to the following:

1. The developers keep learning more and more through their experience. So the more they learn Windows and the mind of it's developers through trial and error and reinvent it, the more effective they become.

2. Tricks to speed up the build process such as their own build software and the use of precompiled headers. A faster, more streamlined approach means faster builds and the opportunity for more testing.

3. A complete suite of Windows conformity tests. Using software to pinpoint where it differs from Windows in terms of behavior helps to make it more like Windows and thus more compatible.

4. The availability of professional tools such as bug filing and task management software (Jira, Fisheye, Crucible, etc., by Atlassian), PVS Studio, Coverity, etc., and specialized tools like Deleaker to do specific tasks like search for memory leaks.

5. Better fundraising and awareness efforts.

6. Programs such as GSOC to help introduce new developers. While all we expect is that they take one some lower priority tasks with mixed results, it is always a blessing when they do quite well with their tasks and want to stay involved as volunteers.