Years on I have still not seen ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tpprynn

Years on I have still not seen ReactOS

Post by tpprynn »

I download every new edition of ReactOS, the live CD and the other .iso, and I try to burn a CD, with imgburn or the native Windows 7 burner application, I try to use DD, Lili and unetbootin to get to see it. I've tried this on maybe ten different computers over the years, with differing chips and specs. AMD pcs with nVidia or ATI, Thinkpads, Toshibas, Packard Bell, Asus and HP laptops, an MSI mini-pc...

I have still never seen this operating system outside of a picture on Distrowatch. I love the idea of it. I have no trouble with Linux or Windows. Can anyone say where I'm going wrong? Yesterday with 0.4.5 I saw the message saying press a key at the beginning of boot, but it then said it was out of memory. Normally the screen is soon black and everything hangs. This hasn't happened to me with a Linux or Windows .iso or .img for years. I'm sure it's my fault, my Linux and Windows mindset, and that I'm doing something simple wrongly.

Thanks for any tips.
dizt3mp3r

Re: Years on I have still not seen ReactOS

Post by dizt3mp3r »

You just need to read the instructions and run it in a virtual machine or on hardware that has been tried and tested.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
middings

Post by middings »

tpprynn wrote:Can anyone say where I'm going wrong? ... Thanks for any tips.
For tips to help the ReactOS Community figure out where you are going wrong, read the first post in the topic [ReadThis]ReactOS doesn't work in my computer!!. This topic is usually first in the list of Support forum topics.

I admit that the ReactOS web site obscures the location of the instructions diztmp3r mentioned. They can be reached from the "Download ReactOS!" page by clicking the button marked "Just click here!" that is to the right of the text "If you don't know what to do with the downloaded file...". (I admit this wording misleads many people. I was fooled too. "Yeah, yeah, I know how to burn an .iso image file to a CD, I'm not a total noob!", I said to myself as I skipped that silly button and moved on without clicking it. I expected real installation instructions to bear a serious label, such as "Installation Instructions". :) Oh well.)

Thank you for giving ReactOS a try and for persevering through all these years of ReactOS development.
tpprynn

Post by tpprynn »

Ah, well I think downloading from the link on Distrowatch has been part of my problem, which has obscured my awareness of instructions. I'll have a fresh crack tomorrow. Shame the Thinkpads and so on are long gone.