well i did some trickery and

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

romulo27

well i did some trickery and

Post by romulo27 »

discovered that if you extract reactOS bootcd it has a reactOS setup executable, but it dont work, you cannot create partitions or choose, wich is shame, because with that i could install reactOS from usb (boot up hiren's boot cd, wich has mini xp, and then install it via it) it would be amazing!
hbelusca
Developer

Re: well i did some trickery and

Post by hbelusca »

And if you informed yourself you would have seen that there's something called 1st-stage GUI setup which is currently mostly a stub, more precisely only its GUI is implemented but not the underlying functionality; for that you still have to rely on the text-mode installer up to now.
middings

Post by middings »

Yes, if someone could use ReactOS components to make a diagnostic and recovery CD such as Hiren's Boot CD (HBCD) then that "would be amazing!" ReactOS's developers (devs) are working on making ReactOS .iso files usable from a USB drive. Those of us who test ReactOS on hardware look forward to the completion of that feature. My understanding is that this feature is not yet ready for public release.

At present, ReactOS lacks other features required by a tool such as HBCD. A diagnostic and recovery CD requires NTFS write support and ReactOS does not have that yet. (For now, ReactOS installs only on FAT32.) You may wish to review HBCD to discover other features of Microsoft Windows that it requires. Then check ReactOS for those features. Even while ReactOS is incomplete for your ultimate purpose, you may wish to use ReactOS (or ReactOS components) to make a proof of concept demonstration of your idea. Consider Eric S. Raymond's maxim, "Release early. Release often. And listen to your customers."
romulo27

Post by romulo27 »

middings wrote:Yes, if someone could use ReactOS components to make a diagnostic and recovery CD such as Hiren's Boot CD (HBCD) then that "would be amazing!" ReactOS's developers (devs) are working on making ReactOS .iso files usable from a USB drive. Those of us who test ReactOS on hardware look forward to the completion of that feature. My understanding is that this feature is not yet ready for public release.

At present, ReactOS lacks other features required by a tool such as HBCD. A diagnostic and recovery CD requires NTFS write support and ReactOS does not have that yet. (For now, ReactOS installs only on FAT32.) You may wish to review HBCD to discover other features of Microsoft Windows that it requires. Then check ReactOS for those features. Even while ReactOS is incomplete for your ultimate purpose, you may wish to use ReactOS (or ReactOS components) to make a proof of concept demonstration of your idea. Consider Eric S. Raymond's maxim, "Release early. Release often. And listen to your customers."
indeed they are usable, its just some question of luck

with any luck for example, live cd usb can boot up easily, im trying to find a tricker way to install reactOS on my laptop, because it has only one usb port, and part of the keyboard dont work, i was testing some applications, and i had to remap the keys to the ones that actually worked, and this is boring, because most of the time i have to remap to some uncomfortable layout