Community Changelog: 0.4.6 (Work-in-progress)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

JHKr0md1yk

Re: Community Changelog: 0.4.6 (Work-in-progress)

Post by JHKr0md1yk »

ctasan wrote:Let's start! (Updated June 3, 2017)

-More work towards UEFI boot. (Alex Ionescu)
No OpenFirmware boot :P ??? :ducks:
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

As you already know - Intel chipsets do not support open firmware. ;)
In any case think the team has enough work on their hands. Booting via open firmware is another task entirely.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
JHKr0md1yk

Post by JHKr0md1yk »

Yeah I know ;) . All joking and kidding aside, I agree. Before the ROS dev team (re)venture into that territory, for that to happen either someone has to come with a devvers board, be it ARM / MIPS / RISCV etc. based, like a raspberry pie and take the IEEE1275 specs and run with it, or the POWER(PC) platform has to offer affordable desktop hardware and/or systems instead of the multi-thousand dollar rigs we've been seeing so far. Even the Raptor Talos Workstation mobo for POWER8, the one for which the crowdsupply funding project was done, clocked in at $3700,-. That's not going to attract a lot of backroom hobbyist tinkerers.

So x86(_64) and ARM(64) it will be for the time being.
val

Post by val »

if you are thirsty to have open firmware for some obscure reason, you might get a cheapo iMac g5 on ebay or something.
I believe any sane project would move on the UEFI bandwagon in this respect. It is a standard for x86 platforms, and it becomes such for arm platforms. If mips architecture will ever be a thing again on desktop/server/sbc landscape, it will get it too, no doubt. as a hobby project I am working on bringing UEFI into Mips Creator CI20 board, the only available mips SBC so far, for example,
JHKr0md1yk

Post by JHKr0md1yk »

You're not the only one to notice. There's this UEFI for MIPS as well, RISC-V has achieved official processor bindings support status for RV32i, RV64i and RV128i modes in UEFI 2.7, and both Andrei Warkentin and Benjamin Herrenschmidt have done some nice groundwork on porting TianoCore to OpenPOWER.

For those that are still hell-bent on booting ROS from OFW, I think going the (Open)POWER8(+) on QEMU route would be the more viable option then ;) . But first, let's bring up ROS on x86(_64).
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Finally updated it :) Some entries were removed or truncated for simplification.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
menuhin

Post by menuhin »

Don't vorget NFS Driver for Reactos
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

menuhin wrote:Don't vorget NFS Driver for Reactos
It's already there under Drivers section.
menuhin

Post by menuhin »

sry i didn'r read everything
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Updated it again, finally! Sorry everyone for this LOOOONG delay, and don't forget to notice things I missed or add anything :)
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Added changelog into the Wiki with some minor changes. Enjoy!
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

This user-friendly list should feature somewhere prominently on the download page. It should state "What's new in 0.4.6".

-oOo-

Sorry to hijack your thread but your work on this list is not being appreciated as much as it ought to be. The download page is becoming more and more useful, however it is missing two necessary components:

1. First of all this WIP list! - essential as it gives genuinely useful information to any installer. It sums up the release - release notes are expected!

2. A big box stating ReactOS current state, ie. the basic text: "Warning: Please bear in mind that ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not stable or feature-complete and is not recommended for everyday use. ". It worries me that the download page seems to promote ReactOS as a usable o/s. I think this is disengenuous and misleading. I know for a fact that it puts people off using ReactOS and tends to give it a bad name amongst casual installers.

Emuandco, if you think this is better off in a new thread please feel free to put it in one - thanks!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.