i think ros should retarget itself as "user mode window"

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

minlearn

i think ros should retarget itself as "user mode window"

Post by minlearn »

i think ros should retarget itself as "user mode window" or sth
like uml:user mode linux,colinux

but not the "most drivers compatible
os with windows nt4"
dizt3mp3r

Re: i think ros should retarget itself as "user mode window"

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I think you should learn to use grammar and make an attempt at making your posts understandable.

What chance in hell does anyone have to comprehend your outpourings?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
milon

Post by milon »

@dizt3mp3r, I think you should leave your hostility behind when you post. That was absolutely uncalled for.

@minlearn, ReactOS aims to be a free, opensource, Windows-compatible operating system. That doesn't necessarily mean it includes every driver ever written, but ideally it should run "out of the box" on typical hardware. To rebrand itself as "user mode Windows" would mean setting aside the goal of running "out of the box" on typical hardware - not something we want to do, I think. You can see the FAQ here for more info:
https://www.reactos.org/joining/faqs
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Another idea would be to split ROS to where Windows users can replace all the user mode stuff. So when you install, maybe add an option to replace user mode Windows code without touching the kernel end, or offer to install fully. That could aid development since those with user mode experience can test it and play with it on an existing Windows installation within real hardware. Any development done using that should go in branches since making things more Windows-like on the top end may expose serious kernel bugs.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Not hostility at all. Some of his posts are simply nonsense. He has made no attempt to make that one readable or understandable. There is simply no excuse for being confusing when you are making a technical suggestion or requesting help.

Basic communication and the need for it is lesson no.1. If we can't communicate then what are we?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
verserk

Post by verserk »

@dizt3mp3r, I understood him perfectly fine.
ReactOS: HP pavilion dv6500.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Well done for you. I applaud you for that.

Still though, it is reasonable to expect something intelligible.
middings

Post by middings »

In written English, sentences begin with an initial capital letter and end with a period. A space separates each sentence. Deliberate failure to meet even this minimal standard is discourteous (#5 in forum Code of Conduct) and especially discourteous to the ReactOS community's members who do not speak English as a first language.

Is minlearn a long-time ReactOS development team member or someone who just blew in yesterday with a big idea for retargeting the goal of the whole project? If the latter, then minlearn was arrogant to suggest such a thing.

Like another commenter, I had a lot of trouble figuring out what minlearn meant and I'm still not sure. I saw minlearn's post before there were any other comments. I almost commented then. I would have been much harsher than @dizt3mp3r.

In Bkeepers's slide presentation 99 Ways to Ruin an Open Source Project, there is a portion on How to Ruin the Motivation of Maintainers. (Click on the page to move to the next slide.) Use the mouse scroll wheel or the Page Up/Page Down keys to move between slides.)
Last edited by middings on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

OK guys... would you stop that now I shall I stop this?!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Apologies to minlearn. Back on track. Would someone please supply a translation of minlearn's words so that I can understand - I am merely an English speaker and I need help.

:)

I really don't understand this "i think ros should retarget itself as "user mode window" or sth
like uml:user mode linux,colinux"
val

Post by val »

posts like minlearn did exist for you, d3zsomeotherrandomsequenceseofletters, to have something to bitch about and to show how the hell smart and funny you look for yourself. without those, you just wouldn't have constant hubris emitting and fall back into hysterically beating your head by your desk, in your hatred to Windows.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
i think :? minlearn is asking to crate something like colinux but instead of using Linux for the os use reactos

http://www.colinux.org/
Cooperative Linux is the first working free and open source method for optimally running Linux on Microsoft Windows natively. More generally, Cooperative Linux (short-named coLinux) is a port of the Linux kernel that allows it to run cooperatively alongside another operating system on a single machine. For instance, it allows one to freely run Linux on Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, without using a commercial PC virtualization software such as VMware, in a way which is much more optimal than using any general purpose PC virtualization software. In its current condition, it allows us to run the KNOPPIX Japanese Edition on Windows (see Screenshots).
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Val, I know him, and it isn't like that at all. I was equally frustrated but didn't say anything about it. The slideshow on killing projects also mentioned making fun of people for their language, and I try not to do it, though I admit I've done it.

The big thing here is that this project is not Linux. Its target is where the developers and foundation want it to be. If others want it to be different, they can attempt forking it. As of yet, I know of no forks of ReactOS that I would deem successful. They will copy the files, maybe change the copyright notices (against the license), give it what they see as a cool name, maybe change the code formatting or whatever, then they let their site registration lapse. My opinion is for even the critics to stay with ROS until it can be reliably ran on a variety of new hardware. Then would be more of a time for forks, since there would already be a solid base to work from. You create a solid base first, then you optimize and adapt later.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I never make fun of people due to their understanding or lack of understanding of the language used on this part of the forum. I certainly try not to. It is when someone deliberately intends to confuse with jargon, uses words beyond their powers or with comes out with techno-gibberish that I stand up and simply ask for clarity!

Certain people know how to communicate they just can't be bothered - and worse still, they do it again and again. It is frustrating especially when the majority here are not English speakers yet they speak English with clarity and they do it so very, very well. I am humbled as my French/German/zulu(!) are paltry by comparison.

Val - you have shown extreme views here before and I would suggest there is no need to stir up emotions further. You aren't the best here at expressing themselves reasonably.

Madwolf - Thanks for the translation re: colinux, I really would not have understood that without your assistance.

My last words - if the OP had merely said what he had meant in normal language then we would have been saved from all this confusion.

Rule no.1 on this forum should be : Communicate Clearly!
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

So, (still confused) does the OP suggest that ReactOS should run co-operatively within Windows? or within another o/s? Perhaps co-exist besides flavours of Linux? I don't really see what the advantage would be of co-existing within Windows.

The site states that "coLinux is being ported to run under ReactOS, a standalone Open Source Windows implementation.", that makes some sense but I see the project has little progress for the last few years.