What single purpose REAL functions can ReactOS currently do?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

xkiter

What single purpose REAL functions can ReactOS currently do?

Post by xkiter »

Start this thread to challenge members to tell which, if any currently, REAL WORLD, REAL HARDWARE functions have you been able to put ReactOS to work with.
Given some limitations as of today (mainly boot on most real uptodate hardware, incomplete NTFS support, incomplete Print support) would still be interesting to know if someone is using ReactOS for any real (likely) single purpose use.
It comes to mind, for example, a simple router, that ReactOS could be doing effortlessly (a likely project for me for this year week vacation). A POS system (unlikely due to the print limitation), a Kodi box?
Up to you guys!
Please notice that I strongly believe that, the moment, there are single purposes uses of ReactOS, this OS can gain momentum to have funding support (like Linux did w/ servers and single purpose uses in routers, firewalls, etc) from the interested hardware companies, and as such, allowing for support to a large community of developers, essential to a quick and successful development of the OS.
dizt3mp3r

Re: What single purpose REAL functions can ReactOS currently

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It isn't for the devs to provide this sort of information so don't expect an immediate answer, they will however, suggest that it is not suitable for use in any business environment.

There are some anecdotal real life usages mentioned here by some users that trawling though the pages will supply you. Have a look at the epic win thread for the types of applications that users are successfully running if only in test/trial mode. Also have a look at the list of tested apps that will show you the sort of apps that are likely to be working given the current state of development, please note that list is fluid.

The specific usages I recall are: an application used to control some scientific equipment that required an NT5 system for some sort of testing. I know of an occurrence where it is being used as a sandbox for testing installs of potentially dodgy Windows apps. ReactOS is being used in anger in two respects now. Firstly, to document Windows which I believe is undocumented in large parts and of course to train future Windows devs in the inner workings of Windows. ReactOS might be one of the best training schools for Windows kernel developers to cut their teeth. I believe that some gamers are using ReactOS for legacy games and that some audiophiles are using ReactOs or parts of ReactOS to do audio processing as ReactOS is supposedly much quicker than Windows in certain respects. This is all anecdotal but given this information you should be able to find the appropriate threads.

There were other usages but they don't spring immediately to mind, the group does not keep a list and probably won't want to publicise such usages as it would suggest ReactOS is usable now. If I come across the threads I will post them but best to search yourself as it is unlikely the devs will provide.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10972&start=1080

https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Tests_for_0.4.5

https://www.reactos.org/node/661

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15868

Some threads to get you started.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Re: What single purpose REAL functions can ReactOS currently

Post by dizt3mp3r »

A quick search found this:

http://tweakers.net/downloads/37359/rea ... #r_8554629
We've got 2 ReactOS machines running a data acquisition system with a PCI card for which only Windows NT5.x drivers exist. Manufacturer went bust years ago.

There is a similar system of another manufacturer but that one costs €100.000,- (measurement card + software), and doesn't exactly have the same range of measurement as our current gear. If we would be switching to said new system we've got to put adjustment filters between the probes and the measurement card (which needs to be custom made). We also have to redo all our reference measurements to calibrate the new equipment in order to align the measurements with those gathered from the old gear (several hundreds, 2-3 hours per measurement)

We've calculated what it would cost us to switch to the new equipment begin 2015, and estimated an amount of over € 3.000.000 ,- including hardware, software and man-hours. For something that's going to net us only an estimated 2,5 millions and goes end-of-life by the end 2017 the choice for going with ReactOS until 2017 4Q was easily made.

Looks like not only John & Jane Does are taking note of ReactOS, it is actually being used in a professional setting in companies.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.