Will ReactOS work for me?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Papa6

Will ReactOS work for me?

Post by Papa6 »

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GT72VR-6RE-D ... cification

Would this work with my system? Does ReactOS take regular drivers or which for this OS. I've purposely been away for those years allowing for the development. I plan to test it on a VM shortly.

Thanks-
Papa6
Konata

Re: Will ReactOS work for me?

Post by Konata »

That's a pretty fancy machine, that's not your main machine, is it?

ReactOS is still in alpha stage and is very flaky on hardware, especially hardware that modern. It's networking isn't totally there yet and USB hardware can actually break it. Maybe, just maybe, it can run on that machine, but it probably won't be able to use your wireless hardware, and of course it'll eventually crash or stop working because the kernel itself is still unfinished.
I would just stick to a VM right now, ReactOS is unfortunately still very incomplete.
middings

Post by middings »

See the ReactOS Wiki page Known Issues. These are the most common difficulties.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

As for the question, it should take regular drivers. However, some installers might not work and you may have to manually extract, then drop in the files, manually register them, etc. Then again, some drivers may hang. So try at own risk and preferably on a machine without data you care about.

However, if you are bold, feel free to try, and report anything in JIRA that you find that isn't already there, and provide as much info as possible.