Question about NTFS for ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ROCKNROLLKID

Question about NTFS for ReactOS

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Is the NTFS filesystem that is being worked on a open-source implementation for NTFS or is it the actual closed-source NTFS driver or is it like a mixed thing?
middings

Re: Question about NTFS for ReactOS

Post by middings »

Konata

Post by Konata »

It's open and all original, here's Trevor's blog about developing it.
It's not entirely finished. I know it can read but I don't know if it can write, and it's not bootable yet, so ReactOS itself still has to reside on a FAT partition.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Thanks guys.

I did read Trevor's blog already, but wasn't specified if it was a written driver from scratch or the one from XP or something. Also, that FAQ is just referring to ReactOS development. Since filesystems are optional in ReactOS, I didn't think it applied at all to NTFS.

Still, glad to hear it will be a open-source implementation.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:[...] but wasn't specified if it was a written driver from scratch or the one from XP or something.
You do realize that you're suggesting he could have written it just taking leaked Windows sources, which is completely illegal and is completely forbidden by our policy??
ROCKNROLLKID wrote:Also, that FAQ is just referring to ReactOS development. Since filesystems are optional in ReactOS, I didn't think it applied at all to NTFS. Still, glad to hear it will be a open-source implementation.
They may be optional, as soon as they are included in ReactOS source code, our policy about source code automatically apply.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Konata wrote:It's open and all original, here's Trevor's blog about developing it.
It's not entirely finished. I know it can read but I don't know if it can write, and it's not bootable yet, so ReactOS itself still has to reside on a FAT partition.
Okay, others here got the read support developed. They might have gotten ideas from incompatible open source projects, but everything in it was done in-house. Trevor is just working on the write support. He got it to write SOME last year, in that it could edit existing files. His assignment this go around in GSOC is to finish what he started. So he is working on resizing the MFT, converting between resident files (in the MFT) and non-resident files (not in the MFT), and creating new files. It will also require getting to know the B-tree structure and properly utilizing it. This is a first to not only host 2 GSOCs in a row but to also get the same guest developer twice in a row. That is helpful since the chosen assignment was a bit much to chew in a single bite.

Other aspects may take a while to work on and may need to be done by whomever after the assignment is over. I can think of things that are not immediately essential to get it to work that would be good. That would include handling different NTFS versions properly (there are deprecated fields that might occasionally contain useful information), making it more self-healing, various optimizations, etc.
middings

Post by middings »

I don't understand why the OP even asked the question.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

middings wrote:I don't understand why the OP even asked the question.
Curiosity? Is that so bad?

By the way, this has already been answered in the first 2 post. No need to keep posting here anymore.