Upcoming Libre Office 5.4 to be last to support XP

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

middings

Upcoming Libre Office 5.4 to be last to support XP

Post by middings »

The Document Foundation has released LibreOffice 5.4.0 RC1. The release notes include: "Note: LibreOffice 5.4 will be the last codeline to support Windows XP or Vista - later versions will require Windows 7 or newer." The release of LibreOffice 5.4.0 is expected in July. End of life of the 5.4 codeline is estimated to occur in June 2018 when its successor is released.
alexei

Re: Upcoming Libre Office 5.4 to be last to support XP

Post by alexei »

It's really sad to see Open Source community to follow MS policy :(
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Well it is completely expected. Given that ReactOS may not be available in usable form for years this tiny project (in their eyes) would not interfere with their thinking.

Good thing about open source projects is that by the time ReactOS is usable there will be a store of o.s. projects available for it to run. Someone will pick up support for an office suite if ReactOS takes off as a generally used o/s. If you had to use today's word processor in five year's time , would that be so very bad? I could run and use Microsoft Word '97 and not feel the need for a new word processor even today. It is only malware/security that we need to worry about.

In any case ReactOS may eventually morph into an NT6 system when it eventually becomes usable as an NT5 system.

Remember, just because it stops being supported doesn't mean it stops working. I spend most of my life working with abandoned software:

Photoshop CS ver 8.0 (Updated but the first version is till the best -used daily)
VB6 (abandoned but still massive yet runtime still supported)
Yahoo widgets (abandoned but how better/how else to get javascript on the desktop - used daily)
Xwidgets (abandoned... - used daily)
Context (abandoned - used daily)
Lotus Organiser (abandoned - used daily)
Windows Movie Maker (gone)
Joomla 1.0.15 (abandoned - used daily)

Loads of games, all of which are old...

These are programs I use every day on top of Windows 7.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

I find their action understandable. Don't get me wrong, Windows XP was indeed a great consumer OS but don't expect things lasting for so long. As long as those developers did not breach Libre Office creating new bugs you can still use it albeit they stopped giving updates and support to their product on a certain OS.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

I've been watching this for a while and must regret stating this.....,,,,,..... ReactOS might need to fork Libre Office at that point and port/sync (to use our build system) after to keep up.

In the beginning of this project, we started with three groups: Applications, Kernel and Dll support. I guess it's time to start up the "Applications CREW", to handle (just 2) Office Packages and Web Browser issues in RosApps. Yeah ReactOS is growing. To keep up with XP/2k3 in the headlights.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I am just curious but why would you have to fork it and do all that work? LibreOffice usually maintains a still branch and usually receives several updates to it before they actually discontinue it. For example, 5.2.x branch received 7 updates before it finally went EOL. Maybe instead, we can convince the developers to extend the EOL date for the 5.4.x branch?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Lets face the truth, we cannot stop the death of NT5.X and the only way to make things stay alive is supporting NT6.X applications. That is a known fact amongside the ROS developers already and the first step will most likely be using the app compatibility feature for doing so. But this still needs quite some work, because right now this feature does not hook in early enough to do so due to it behaving like the XP one. This needs some work to make it behave sort of the way the compatibility features in newer Windows versions behave. This variant can realize such tasks.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Will ReactOS continue to be developed if Windows 10 is opensourced?
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Interesting thought. I can't imagine that they ever will. MS would lose control of their baby and others could then implement things such as a consistent tablet/desktop GUI. For MS and majority of users these GUI type changes are the SINGLE and only differentiating factor between one version of Windows and another (despite any other runder-the-hood fixes/mods &c). Losing control of this major differentiating factor would be to lose control of the Windows environment entirely as others would start doing it better, eg. reimplementing the classic start menu, adding an Android or IOS like interface,

I don't see what the benefit to MS would be - it could destroy their monopoly on the desktop and to achieve what?

I just don't see it happening.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Konata

Post by Konata »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Interesting thought. I can't imagine that they ever will. MS would lose control of their baby and others could then implement things such as a consistent tablet/desktop GUI. For MS and majority of users these GUI type changes are the SINGLE and only differentiating factor between one version of Windows and another (despite any other runder-the-hood fixes/mods &c). Losing control of this major differentiating factor would be to lose control of the Windows environment entirely as others would start doing it better, eg. reimplementing the classic start menu, adding an Android or IOS like interface,

I don't see what the benefit to MS would be - it could destroy their monopoly on the desktop and to achieve what?

I just don't see it happening.
lol calm down
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

val wrote:
lol calm down
OOPS
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Uuuuh, val != Konata?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

>brain fart< ;)

Is that Konata is greater than or equal to Val? Surely that is subjective.

Should be Konata != Val?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

*meeep* corrected ^^

val

Post by val »

@dizt3mp3r, should I take it as something flattering, the fact that whoever you quote, the reference turns to be on my nickname? :D

funny note, you edited your rant but left the wrong reference to me, so "lol, calm down" isn't frustrating for you anymore if it goes not from me? :lol:

PS. by the way, I think that
adding an Android or IOS like interface,
would be even more nonsensical or irrational, than the opening Windows source. So far, we see opposite, there are attempts to turn Android into Windows-looking interface (all those unsuccessful RemixOS etc). The point is Android isn't any attractive in this respect to borrow from. It's on its own a collection of calcs. I say this less as a Windows fan, more as an unhappy Android tablet user. Interface is horrible.