[IDEA] Ethereum for fundraiser

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

erkinalp

[IDEA] Ethereum for fundraiser

Post by erkinalp »

What do you think about utilizing ETH to raise funds? Ethereum has a Turing-complete scripting language, thus arbitrarily complex release schemes may be developed.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
oldman

Re: [IDEA] Ethereum for fundraiser

Post by oldman »

erkinalp wrote:What do you think about utilizing ETH to raise funds? Ethereum has a Turing-complete scripting language, thus arbitrarily complex release schemes may be developed.
Could you explain your idea in more detail!

Are you talking about this and this?
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Yes, and I want to be the contract programmer and maintainer of Ethereum ReactOS fundraiser contract.
Ethereum fundraiser will operate in such a manner:
Everyone will be able to donate arbirtary amount of ether. Only ReactOS Foundation or proxies defined by board of ReactOS Foundation would be able to withdraw the funds. ReactOS foundation will be able to determine how much of ether may be withdrawn by proxies. If ReactOS Foundation wishes, I can implement an automated release scheme for them(for security reasons, fundraiser contract will not operate on ReactOS Foundation's ETH address, rather, a separate fundraiser address will be used to transfer the funds to ReactOS Foundation's accounts). Foundation's board structure needs to be replicated on an Ethereum account and all board members need Ethereum addresses for this to work.
Last edited by erkinalp on Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I don't really know anything about Ethereum myself, but it seems like a good opportunity. If you know what you are doing, then I'd say go for it.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

I cannot raise funds for ReactOS without project approval. Hence, waiting for them.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Has anyone thought about maybe doing a Kickstarter fundraiser, too? I have seen some ridiculously projects on Kickstarter in the past that have made a few hundred dollars off it. I would assume something like ReactOS should be able to make a few thousand dollars at least. I suppose it will also need approval first.

https://www.kickstarter.com/?ref=nav
dark

Post by dark »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:I don't really know anything about Ethereum myself, but it seems like a good opportunity. If you know what you are doing, then I'd say go for it.
It's another pump and dump scheme, not even the first bitcoin technology based pump and dump scheme. Once it reaches a decent sell off point, it will all be sold and the price will never recover because it's not bitcoin. Then there's bitcoin sitting at $2300 USD at the moment, any moment now a crash is likely.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I think you might be better off asking in the IRC, as most of the developers don't pay attention to the forums here.
milon

Post by milon »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:Has anyone thought about maybe doing a Kickstarter fundraiser, too? I have seen some ridiculously projects on Kickstarter in the past that have made a few hundred dollars off it. I would assume something like ReactOS should be able to make a few thousand dollars at least. I suppose it will also need approval first.

https://www.kickstarter.com/?ref=nav
Kickstarter and other similar crowd-funding options have been discussed here a lot. A quick forum search will reveal that. But right now, IMO, it's a really bad idea. We're not ready to release a solid Beta, nor is that going to happen in the near future, so there's no return on the investment and people get the wrong idea about ReactOS. If anyone wants to donate to ReactOS, point them to the donation link on the main page.