I Really Want to See Success...But..

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Re: I Really Want to See Success...But..

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Who knows? That is not the target at the moment. A paid bounty might make some progress in that direction but ReactOS isn't progressing toward one common goal other than "to get it working" (by the way it is paid not payed).
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
tverweij

Post by tverweij »

Thanks for the correction - I am not a native speaker.

But I see a dark future; it looks like the Windows are being closed; the CEO of Microsoft thinks of Windows as an unimportant legacy system and ReactOS does not want to be more than a hobby project.

My request for Hyper-V support would open about 40% of all new and future hardware to ReactOS, with a minimum of drivers to support.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

ReactOS does not want to be a hobby project. That is a non-fact. ReactOS thrives on its community and what it contributes in code and cash is what drives it forward. The number of coders that MS employed and the numbers that contribute to ReactOS are at an enormous disparity. The code therefore progresses at a commensurate rate. The coders that contribute toward ReactOS really know their stuff and they are professionals which makes ReactOS much more than a hobby project, however, there are only so many of them.

I always state to chaps like you that ReactOs proceeds at a rate that does not tally with your own personal expectations. Your judgement of the project on this forum (negative or positive) has very little overall effect towards its completion. If you want the project to proceed faster then simply contribute positively rather than criticise in any negative sense.

If a bit of functionality would be useful to you then consider getting the community that would benefit to make a contribution. It might then occur quicker. One thing that is always forgotten is that the code contribution is entirely voluntary, coders work on the part that interests them. What interests you won't necessarily interest them.

P.S. Forgive me for correcting you - but it had to be done! :D

P.P.S. Windows is already dead on phones and tablets, the only place it has a future is on desktops/servers. That might change in the future but that is the state of play as it is today.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
tverweij

Post by tverweij »

One thing that is always forgotten is that the code contribution is entirely voluntary, coders work on the part that interests them. What interests you won't necessarily interest them.
I am sorry, but that is my definition of a hobby project.
tverweij

Post by tverweij »

But let's talk business: I am willing to pay USD 1000 for full Hyper-V 2016 support that must be achieved withing 6 months.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Now, who are you willing to pay and how? You'd need to set up some sort of bounty.
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tverweij

Post by tverweij »

Whoever implements it.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

You need to offer a formal bounty to get a developer interested, real money on the table. Otherwise it is just a speculative offer.
Then you'd have to wait for a developer to respond. Hopefully they might. Very much in the way you'd sign-up to one of those websites that offer a unique piece of work for cash committed upfront.

This is not a recommendation for a site - this is just one as an example: https://www.bountysource.com/

You could publicise the bounty here of course.
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tverweij

Post by tverweij »

Ok, contact me using PM - so you can tell me what and how I have to do that.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It isn't for me to do that, I am a merely a member of the forum community, that's it. I am simply stating how such things can work.

If any of the developers have suggestions and they read this, they might suggest a good bounty site similar to the above that has been used before. If you are happy to wait a while you may see some responses here and they may be positive. It is really down to you as to how you offer a bounty. The method I suggested is a concrete one and could elicit a response being a 'real' one. The site I mentioned is nopt a recommendation, there are others and it is up to you as to which you use.

The reason I mentioned bountysource is that there is an existing section there for ReactOS.

https://www.bountysource.com/teams/reactos/bounties

Good luck with it though!
tverweij

Post by tverweij »

I will do it the easy way - If the ReactOS team is reading this thread I do the following bid:

ReactOS team:
Contact me using PM in the next week.
My bid is firm: if you vow to add Hyper-V support in the next 6 month I will donate USD 1000 to the project immediately.

Definition of Hyper-V support:
Take the guest.iso from a Windows 2012R2 hyper-V enabled installation (location of the iso: in the system32 folder)
The installer should work on ReactOS, all the drivers in the package should install properly and the installed drivers must be functional.
tverweij

Post by tverweij »

As I can not edit the previous message:
One more point: When it is implemented, Hyper-V should be an official supported platform.
oldman

Post by oldman »

This maybe of interest! Bugs related to Hyper-V and something similar Implement a ReactOS Qubes domain and hypervisor kernel
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Marzz

Post by Marzz »

I don’t have the financial luxury of being able to donate $1,000 but count me in for $100,- towards implementing Hyper-V. Just out of curiosity, how much were some of the previous contracts from the ReactOS foundation?
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Hyper V chaps - be aware that your posts here, although positive are nothing but posts on the forum. As such they may not be read by any of the main devs that are busy coding away, running their busy lives. If you want to show your keen-ness then by all means use the bounty approach through one of the sites already mentioned. Once done, then please use the forum to raise a new post advertising the bounty to the ReactOS community.

Good luck!