ReactOS in future-Compatibility

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mario995

ReactOS in future-Compatibility

Post by mario995 »

Hi
I am new on forum. I really respect your work. In my opinion it is fantastic but today I thought what will be with ReactOS in future?
As I know whole project based on Windows Server 2003/Windows NT/2K. This systems are not supported for years. ReactOS is in alpha now and develops a bit slow but it is connected with lack of sponsors and developers in my opinion. I have to say that your project is one of the most ambitious when I compare it to another free OS and you are making really wonderfull work but I am scary that when ReactOS will reach beta stage/final stage it will be compleately out of date :/
In my opinion it is essential to search for some help from sponsors and developers/programmers. Project need more people and we must search for them on IT forums like BetaArchive, RayanVM or MSFN. ReactOS developers need to be more active in social media. I read about Longhorn Reloaded and after reading of one comment about ReactOS team cooperation with Reloaded I thought it would be great. What about for example BlackWingCat who made great KernelEX for Windows 2K. He maight be great person in ReactOS team but we have to try to cooperate with programmers from another projects ( Windows or Linux communities )
What do you think about this?
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: ReactOS in future-Compatibility

Post by EmuandCo »

KernelEX uses ROS code for stuff not supported by Win9x, so nope. Not really of any use because it's our code.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
mario995

Post by mario995 »

Ok
I did not know about it but Linux has huge community. I know that Linux distros are not so original becouse Linux distros based on another Linux distros :D ( for example Ubuntu based on Debian ) and in source code Linux is different but I think linux developers maight be helpfull too. ReactOS has too few developers and money to be real Windows alternative and it's really sad but true
We must look for ways to speed up development of ROS becouse without it that OS always will be only interesting only for geeks, not for ordinary PC user. If development will not speed up this OS will be only art for art and working on its out of date architecture will be a waste of time
I know it is hard but in my opinion it's time to do something becouse we are now out of date and it will be only worse and worse if community will not try to do something
ReactOS is being developed for about 19 years and it is still in alpaha. It must be changed becouse in my opinion it makes whole project looks really really bad
I know ROS may be the best Free OS ever and you can do that but it's time to wake up and work faster and harder. I know and respect that it will be extremely difficult but without that ROS will not be alternative for any OS becouse now calling that OS Windows alternative sounds like joke for every ordinary Windows or even Linux user :(
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

It is very nice that you commented but really you don't know what you are talking about.

No-one 'here' is going to hurry up. The devs are simply people like you and me, you can develop ReactOS if you so wish. Get the skills and contribute. Find a way. Or not - its up to you.

It is not meant to be a Windows alternative for YOU. It is an open source NT5 o/s that will be driver and application compatible. If you can't wait for it then simply choose Windows or Linux.

We get many posts like this and really, I wonder why you bother unless it is just to hear your own opinion. ReactOS will be ready when it is ready. If you want ReactOS so much then contribute!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

Given the scope of what ReactOS is trying to accomplish i think the pace is to be expected. Hardware compatibility has improved dramatically in the last 2 years. And i feel it will eventually run on hardware that 2003/XP doesn't. I think some technologies like making a Gallium3D WinSys NT5.x driver could future proof ReactOS assuming such a thing is possible with the NT5.x driver architecture.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

You should note that Gallium3D is part of Mesa3D and has been since 2009 and I believe you can get Mesa3D from RAPPs now.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

Well i was referring to hardware accelerated Gallium3D all that's supported under windows is software rendering.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

mario995 wrote:Ok
I did not know about it but Linux has huge community. I know that Linux distros are not so original becouse Linux distros based on another Linux distros :D ( for example Ubuntu based on Debian ) and in source code Linux is different but I think linux developers maight be helpfull too. ReactOS has too few developers and money to be real Windows alternative and it's really sad but true
We must look for ways to speed up development of ROS becouse without it that OS always will be only interesting only for geeks, not for ordinary PC user. If development will not speed up this OS will be only art for art and working on its out of date architecture will be a waste of time
I know it is hard but in my opinion it's time to do something becouse we are now out of date and it will be only worse and worse if community will not try to do something
ReactOS is being developed for about 19 years and it is still in alpaha. It must be changed becouse in my opinion it makes whole project looks really really bad
I know ROS may be the best Free OS ever and you can do that but it's time to wake up and work faster and harder. I know and respect that it will be extremely difficult but without that ROS will not be alternative for any OS becouse now calling that OS Windows alternative sounds like joke for every ordinary Windows or even Linux user :(
we are looking forward to your patches.
mario995

Post by mario995 »

Oh I do not want to make you angry :)
I am only astonished that you are working on project which have a chance to change OS world, and it is great but our community is so small ( when we compare to for example Linux community ) and a lot of PC users do not even know abour ROS exsistence
I do not want to attack you. I really respect your work. I only want to say that in my opinion that project deserves more attention in IT world and we should try to get trough to more people. In my opinion if community will be larger, ROS will develop faster ;)
oldman

Post by oldman »

mario995 wrote: ...... and a lot of PC users do not even know about ROS exsistence

............... I only want to say that in my opinion that project deserves more attention in IT world and we should try to get through to more people. In my opinion if community will be larger, ROS will develop faster ;)
So what are you waiting for! Promote ReactOS. Tell your friends about ReactOS and anyone else who may be interested.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I have ReactOS in my open-source group on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

There is also an individual group for ReactOS on Steam, but doesn't appear to be maintained by the owner/moderators anymore, who of which I think were some members of ReactOS: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/reactos
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

The fact is, the driver situation is changing - or HAS changed.

In the past, it was Linux who was lacking drivers. Nowadays, it is often Windows - because many nice things that used to work under XP are no longer supported.

So yes, "foreign driver model" and so on and so forth are surely TECHNICAL problems. But see it from the BUSINESS-POLITICAL side of affairs: Linux has turned into a "bag of drivers". There are a lot of appliances out there which do not strictly NEED Linux, but USE Linux for the drivers - and they let Linux run just one task.

The other point is - while there ARE drivers for Windows, you cannot easily GET them. They are often subject to specific distribution agreements. ReactOS already TRIES to "get drivers" where possible - but you can't cover them all. (In the marketplace, nobody will take you seriously and offer you the licenses they offer Microsoft.)

So all in all, the idea to support Linux drivers - WHATEVER that means technically - is not entirely "absurd". Because the open question remains: HOW do you GET DRIVERS?

Promoting an OS without drivers is pretty pointless, which should be clear to all of us fans independently of our enthusiasm.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Who knows SDI tool? They use driverpacks of quite a size which have almost any driver for Windows inside. That would be a way to get em.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

EmuandCo wrote:Who knows SDI tool? They use driverpacks of quite a size which have almost any driver for Windows inside. That would be a way to get em.
https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-9423
https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-10521
https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-10885