Comparison ReactOS with Haiku

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

theuserbl

Comparison ReactOS with Haiku

Post by theuserbl »

A comparision of ReactOS and Haiku:

I have two computer and a notebook. For me, Haiku runs on all of that hardware as LiveCD without problems. ReactOS runs on none of them. (hangs up during the booting). ReactOS can only run in an Virtual Machine on my computers.

Haiku is fast and works stable without problems.
ReactOS have things like flickering, if you move the mouse over "Programs", "Documents" and "Settings" in the start menu. Flickering if you move one window over an other one and so on.
Scrolling in directories with the explorer, sometimes draws things in the window wrong.

The complete ReactOS feels very unfinished and deep in Alpha stage.
Haiku on the other side already feels very mature and is a step before its first Beta, which will be published soon.

Haiku begins from zero.
ReactOS uses big parts from WINE, Samba and other already existing projects.

Wikipedia says, the initial version of Haiku is from 2001. That from ReactOS from 1998. (so ReactOS have had three years more time to code, then Haiku have).

On DistroWatch.com ReactOS is on place 16, with 608 HPD (so for users it is very interesting). Haiku on the other side is on place 147, with only 61 HPD.

In conclusion:
ReactOS exists longer as Haiku, have an easier start (with existing code, which could be used) and have a higher popularity. But it is less advanced and mature then Haiku.

Having Haiku more developers then ReactOS or have they more skills or have they more time to code or what is the reason for it?

Greatings
theuserbl
erkinalp

Re: Comparison ReactOS with Haiku

Post by erkinalp »

Haiku is a BeOS replacement, ReactOS is a Windows XP replacement. Which has more software and user base, Windows XP or BeOS?
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
theuserbl

Post by theuserbl »

erkinalp wrote:Haiku is a BeOS replacement, ReactOS is a Windows XP replacement. Which has more software and user base, Windows XP or BeOS?
That says something about, why the populatity of ReactOS on Distowatch is higher, but not why Haiku is more mature.
And if Windows have more users and hence more "fans", then it will result also in more developers for ReactOS then Haiku. And this will also speeding up the development of ReactOS - but really the opposite is true.

Greatings
theuserbl
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Haiku did not start from zero. It's kernel is based on NewOS and it took some code from bsd and linux projects.

It is also easier to create something new than recreate a complete environment. Haiku has beOS binary compatibility but a different environment. ROS has to properly reimplement a whole environment around ntos because windows depends on many components which depend on others that also depend on third ones. So we have to go a fully different way in development.

Also: don't comparethe mt everest with some alpine mountain.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Plus BeOS is much older then XP and hasn't received any updates since mid 2000. By now, Haiku probably has everything BeOS had and now they are just adding their own interest to it, so they don't have to worry about limitations anymore. The last feature pack/service pack for XP was in 2008, so their is much more in XP that ReactOS needs to do, then there was in BeOS that Haiku needed to do.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Next comparison - a cake with a shoe.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Check again when the first code of ReactOS showed up and rethink your strange comparison.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
middings

Post by middings »

theuserbl wrote:A comparison of ReactOS and Haiku...
Such a comparison is not useful unless something specific and replicable can be learned from the Haiku project's apparent success.

I am happy the Haiku project team are achieving their goals. I am happy that ReactOS developer team and code contributors are also making steady progress toward the ReactOS goals. ReactOS and Haiku are not running the same race. The two projects are not in a race with each other at all.

I examined a few of the histories of Haiku that were available on the Web. This one, The Dawn of Haiku OS published by IEEE Spectrum magazine, is especially noteworthy. Unfortunately I can glean very little information from these histories of the Haiku OS project that can inform the ReactOS project. For example, one of the circumstances The Dawn of Haiku OS article attributed to the apparent success of the Haiku project was the smaller, simpler design of the BE Operating System chosen by Haiku as its design target. That is not a practical suggestion. Microsoft Windows NT is what it is, an operating system with a rich set of APIs and behaviors that permit it to support both the workstation and server roles.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Why has Temple OS been completed before ReactOS and why doesn't ReactOS have any of the features of TempleOS? TempleOS has the word of God in the o/s since its inception, ReactOS doesn't even have any scriptures yet.

Temple OS was written by one man, why has ReactOS taken so long to complete? Is it because the devs are insufficiently religious?

It seems most strange that a single user, single address space, non networked, ring zero, text GUI based o/s can be completed before a Windows binary-compatible multi-user, networked, secure kernel, graphical GUI o/s such as ReactOS.

Can't we just cap ReactOS source code at 100,000 lines and go live now? Surely that's not too much to ask?
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

theuserbl - Thor? banhammer? I think he's earnt it just for this post.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Next comparison - a cake with a shoe.
When properly cooked, both are eatable.
;)
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I think it's edible - but in the case of the shoe I am still unsure... ;)
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Haiku did not manage a realease for an eternity.

"But take the nightlies"... yeah, go take the nightlies yourself.

The point is: releases are POINTS OF REFERENCE. When you say, "I got version A.X. and it got a bug", then people will try to sort it out WITHIN A.X.

If the only answer you get is, "yeah, three nightlies afterwards, we fixed it" - well, then good luck. People have other hobbies and own project and will NOT permanently run after somebody's OS ambitions and "nightlies".

So I may well say, ReactOS beats the hell out of Haiku.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
1 reactos is targeting NT5.2 Microsoft Windows Server 2003 not NT5.1 Microsoft Windows XP
Wikipedia says, the initial version of Haiku is from 2001. That from ReactOS from 1998. (so ReactOS have had three years more time to code, then Haiku have).
2 NO i need to find the links but if i remember correctly Reactos started development when the target was change to NT
https://www.reactos.org/wiki/FreeWin95
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=12786
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

There is not much difference in userland between XP and 2003.
Corrected by David Reimer.
Last edited by erkinalp on Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2