BBS & terminal support

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bindigoat

BBS & terminal support

Post by bindigoat »

In DOS & early versions of windows you had a icon which booted a BBS, Bulletin Board System & a icon which dialed a BBS, bulletin board system. All that was needed was a phone line & a dialup fax modem, no internet required. Computer could communicate to computer by just making a phone call. Dialup fax modems are usually USB these days. This type of communication occurred all round the world for at least 3 decades.

Alternative to the internet.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 8855694381

Computer to computer communication, without using the internet.

System requirements DOS or Freedos, windows or preferably reactos. Dialup fax modem usually USB & make sure your system supports USB devices with a USB device driver. Note programs might have to be reverse engineered, re compiled & updated in the above download link.

Such support should be standard in reactos.
erkinalp

Re: BBS & terminal support

Post by erkinalp »

We would not be able to test for it.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
val

Post by val »

bindigoat wrote: Such support should be standard in reactos.
You sound like you are sitting on such boxes making extensive development, debugging. testing all the needed components, but someone prevents you from committing all that work in the ReactOS repository. Who is that asshole? :lol:
middings

Post by middings »

Is bindigoat describing the HyperTerminal program that shipped with Microsoft Windows XP? Xmodem was once popular on computers running DOS and C/PM. Free and open source software (FOSS) alternatives to HyperTerminal and Xmodem exist. PuTTY is a popular FOSS replacement for those programs.
val

Post by val »

no, he wants reactos reverse enginered and incorporated that bunch of dos fossiles he had uploaded for him. the key thing there I guess is that:
Computer could communicate to computer by just making a phone call. Dialup fax modems are usually USB these days. This type of communication occurred all round the world for at least 3 decades.
Computer to computer communication, without using the internet.

System requirements DOS or Freedos, windows or preferably reactos. Dialup fax modem usually USB & make sure your system supports USB devices with a USB device driver. Note programs might have to be reverse engineered, re compiled & updated in the above download link.
the bolded text alone is enough to get an idea what's needed to have been done at least. Seems, bindigoat seeks to become kind of a ground breaker here. :lol:
dark

Post by dark »

bindigoat wrote: Computer could communicate to computer by just making a phone call
And now almost everyone is connected to VOIP system, which quality is so low that it might take 3 or 4 tries to send a fax through using the same modem. Even if you setup some DOS computer with all the proper hardware and programs, most of the connecting phone lines needed for this to work were severed a decade ago.
Last edited by dark on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

The problem is not poor quality at all. The sound quality is way better even. Problem is that the used compression is made for voice and not modem/fax sounds. Thus you can and will have problems with these devices nowadays. I see that problem almost daily at work where another customer was converted to VoIP and calls us quite pissed because his fax fails to get through. Have fun telling em that this is impossible to fix ^^ Modem is dead and will be forever. I don't think it's of any use to invest any time to support em.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Do not forget there is a Hi-Fi codec available to use in LTE VoIP setups. Why do they use Lo-Fi codec in spite of availability?
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
tinus61

Post by tinus61 »

If you want to Logon to BBS you need the SyncTERM terminal emulator. I supports Dial Up, Telnet, Rlogin, Zmodem etc..

https://sourceforge.net/projects/syncterm/

I tried it over Telnet and it works like a charm on ReactOS 0.4.16.

Good luck!
middings

Post by middings »

There is no ReactOS 0.4.16 at this time, tinus61. Did you mean ReactOS 0.4.6?

Your screenshot of the SyncTERM terminal emulator working on ReactOS would be a welcome addition to the "Epic Win!" topic.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

val wrote: Seems, bindigoat seeks to become kind of a ground breaker here. :lol:
Each of us are driven to ReactOS by our own reasons. Each of them are equally valid, the importance is what we personally ascribe to them. I expect none of my own reasons for wanting ReactOS to be equally valid for you, nor yours for me.

The great sum of all these reasons are what will push ReactOS to be the o/s of choice one day to, hopefully, a large number of users. No need to disparage them and trivialise their uses.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
bindigoat

Post by bindigoat »

Here is the link to the BBS & terminal project I am working on.

Computer to Computer Communication, password: immasom, direct download.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qFVahr ... 1m15X/view

Note the internet uses 10% of the worlds electricity, as much power as the international aerospace industry. ZModem on POTS, Plain Old Telephone Service uses a tiny amount of electricty compared to the internet. So the reason this project has to go forward is because of environmental issues.

More info on Zmodem BBS, Bulletin Board System communications

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kqaP4y ... 8hRr1/view

ACOS, Australian Computer Operating System: Development.

https://spacetech.freeforums.net/thread ... ing-system