Business idea - workstation with preinstalled ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dejan

Business idea - workstation with preinstalled ReactOS

Post by dejan »

I have asked this question on IRC few years ago - is there a hardware setup on which ReactOS works reliably (or let's say "good enough")? If there is a hardware configuration that ReactOS works well-enough why don't you guys wrap it up in a package and sell it in your shop!?!? Furthermore, this hardware configuration would be supported (extremely important) by RectOS developers who would make sure ReactOS is as stable as possible on this, let call it "reference hardware"...

I would buy this machine, and I am sure many other people keen to support ReactOS would do. What good is operating system that exists for 2 decades if it does not work on real hardware??? (Unless you want to develop it for fun, and occasional VirtualBox usage??)

If there are entrepreneurs among the community here - this is an excellent business opportunity as I am sure there will be at least 1000 people out there willing to buy this workstation.
Konata

Re: Business idea - workstation with preinstalled ReactOS

Post by Konata »

I'm sure the team has this idea in mind for the future. But right now ReactOS is just plain incomplete, it won't work correctly on any hardware for long. There's still a few core services in the kernel that need to be perfected or rewritten until then. As it's been stated in a lot of the forum signatures, ReactOS is still alpha software and should never be used outside of testing purposes.
dejan

Post by dejan »

It really does not matter that it will not work on particular hardware for long. Point is to come up with a good hardware configuration (which contains components that ReacOS is known to work stable enough) and imporove ReactOS for this REFERENCE REACTOS WORKSTATION HARDWARE. I would buy it simply to support the project and play with ReactOS...
cernodile

Post by cernodile »

dejan wrote:It really does not matter that it will not work on particular hardware for long. Point is to come up with a good hardware configuration (which contains components that ReacOS is known to work stable enough) and imporove ReactOS for this REFERENCE REACTOS WORKSTATION HARDWARE. I would buy it simply to support the project and play with ReactOS...
Well, this would really limit what developers can do, because not everyone will have that set of hardware. I wouldn't think it's worth having one before beta.
My working rigs:
Dell Latitude E5430 on 0.4.9-vgal - i5-3340M, USB boot.
Partially working rigs:
Ryzen 7 3700X on B450 board - 0.4.14 boot via preinstall. USB broken.
[ external image ]
breu35

Post by breu35 »

I'm testing on a real machine and I can already connect by cable. In recent months I've seen an acceleration in usability. I'm using in a dell inspiron 1545. (dual core). That until November of last year only gave blue screen. With the official 0.47 I could sometimes boot cd and now I'm using Vgal 0.47, although it is not the official version Usbs works and is a newer build. (06/01/2018) . I'm using on a dell inspiron 1545. (dual core) (notebook). This same compilation tested via external Hd by the usb and another older machine and connected without needing to install Xp network drivers as in the notebook.
Sometimes it hangs the browser, because I love to open many things at the same time. I could not get any sound from him yet. IS ALPHA.