[newbie] How run ReactOS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Post Reply
AndrzejB
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:57 pm

[newbie] How run ReactOS?

Post by AndrzejB » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:01 pm

I try run Reactos under VirtualBox (settings for WindowsXP 32 bit) but ReactOS Live panic kernel

rock59
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:06 am

Re: [newbie] How run ReactOS?

Post by rock59 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:32 am

hi,
I am new in this forum and today I tryed to install ros on vmware and I did it.
It works without any problem.
In vmware I have created the ros machine as xp home edition.
It is important that you specify 'standard pc uniprocessor' instead of what is set by default during installation.
After that you have to install the bootloader selecting 'this hard drive'.
I am very surprised about the level reached by this os.
the network connection works like a charm and I have installed teamviewer 7 without any problems and it works perfectly.
I have installed also opera browser and also this works perfectly.
A big step ahead, I have been following this project for a couple of years but I never have been able to install and running it.
Really many thanks to all of people involved in this project:
it is the last chance the world has to figth the microsoft monopoly.
Hoping that Reactos can reach beta stage soon.

rock59
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:06 am

Re: [newbie] How run ReactOS?

Post by rock59 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:38 am

anybody knows how to share directory with windows host in vmware?
I share dir in the vmware configuration but in ros vm I do not see it!

Konata
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: [newbie] How run ReactOS?

Post by Konata » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:29 am

rock59 wrote:anybody knows how to share directory with windows host in vmware?
I share dir in the vmware configuration but in ros vm I do not see it!
Pretty sure shared directories in VMs need a host driver installed in the VM, look for an option in vmware to insert the driver disc and then run it in ROS.

oldman
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: [newbie] How run ReactOS?

Post by oldman » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:37 am

AndrzejB wrote:I try run Reactos under VirtualBox (settings for WindowsXP 32 bit) but ReactOS Live panic kernel
1. What release or revision number of ReactOS are you trying to install?
2. At what point do you get the kernel panic?
a. First stage?
b. Second stage?
c. Booting into the desktop for the first time?

Please, always give as much information as possible, when you ask for help!

Suggestions:
If the installation fails, then try installing it again.
Try the latest revision from here.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - with some complementary scripts.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

rock59
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:06 am

Re: [newbie] How run ReactOS?

Post by rock59 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Konata wrote:
rock59 wrote:anybody knows how to share directory with windows host in vmware?
I share dir in the vmware configuration but in ros vm I do not see it!
Pretty sure shared directories in VMs need a host driver installed in the VM, look for an option in vmware to insert the driver disc and then run it in ROS.
thank you,
after installing vm tools sharing folder works!!!!

rock59
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:06 am

Re: [newbie] How run ReactOS?

Post by rock59 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:57 pm

Trying to run a visual foxpro 9 .exe application Ros says 'not win32 exe'.
Any idea on this?

hbelusca
Developer
Posts: 1147
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: [newbie] How run ReactOS?

Post by hbelusca » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Either your application is a Win16 application and not a Win32 one (we don't support Win16 apps yet), or it's a Win64 app or an app for Vista+, which I strongly doubt.

rock59
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:06 am

Re: [newbie] How run ReactOS?

Post by rock59 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:36 pm

hbelusca wrote:Either your application is a Win16 application and not a Win32 one (we don't support Win16 apps yet), or it's a Win64 app or an app for Vista+, which I strongly doubt.
no in win 10 the app is seen as win 32 bit as finally the visual foxpro 9 is.
the .exe works perfectly in all windows version from 2000 to win 10....

Fraizeraust
Posts: 229
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:46 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: [newbie] How run ReactOS?

Post by Fraizeraust » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:19 pm

@rock59: ReactOS is not fully stable yet to run any Windows software in your wish regardless of application architecture. Many critical parts and the kernel are still under development.

rock59
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:06 am

Re: [newbie] How run ReactOS?

Post by rock59 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:53 pm

Fraizeraust wrote:@rock59: ReactOS is not fully stable yet to run any Windows software in your wish regardless of application architecture. Many critical parts and the kernel are still under development.

ok clear.
Hoping for the future.........

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests