Windows 10 turns into a modular Platform

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Locked
Blackcrack
Posts: 1808
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:55 pm
Contact:

Windows 10 turns into a modular Platform

Post by Blackcrack » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:33 am

Hi,

with the Headliner "Microsoft 'Andromeda OS' aims to turn Windows 10 into a modular platform for the future"
Becomes WinNt a very new Face, so, why should we not start also to make Reactos into an Modular OS
where it is also all possible .. this is also the thinking behind the Menu-Idea with different dll's for different Faces of Menu :mrgreen:

or make it more easy to use in ARM or something,
also for make it also possible for use into Handy's later .. in the future..

have fun by read :)

https://www.windowscentral.com/andromeda-os

best regards
Blacky

dizt3mp3r
Posts: 1447
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Re: Windows 10 turns into a modular Platform

Post by dizt3mp3r » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:10 am

Blackcrack, your best post ever! I understood from top to bottom - perfect!

The article is very interesting and I have no doubt that it might be the direction for the future. Imagining the effect of an architectural change like that on ReactOS now before it has even reached beta might be catastophic to the idea of completion. Let the devs finish ReactOS in its NT5 reincarnation before they engineer a new o/s from scratch because that is what Andromeda will turn out to be.

theuserbl
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:49 pm

Re: Windows 10 turns into a modular Platform

Post by theuserbl » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:29 pm

dizt3mp3r wrote:The article is very interesting and I have no doubt that it might be the direction for the future.
I hope, Google goes similar ways with its Fuchis OS
https://fuchsia.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page

Linux on the other side, is far away from one kernel, GUI, etc for all devices.
There its more the other way around: A lot of different GUIs, graphics engines (X11 and Wayland), etc for one device (the desktop).

Greentings
theuserbl

Blackcrack
Posts: 1808
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 turns into a modular Platform

Post by Blackcrack » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:33 am

Hi,

naaa, it exist one kernel and the possibility to change the WM on the XServer (Xorg/Wayland)
but.. the Distributors be more or less actual .. The Gui it is depend of the Distributors too,
so, also less or more actual , this is the task of the Distributors what make they are of work
or loose of it and therewith the actuality too.. So many hands on the "cooker" and the
last mile make it more worse as good because any want make his way and want make "better"
as other, with they are own "Reality" and world view / ideology / philosophy of life or what ever,
therewith they smash themselves because they have not a really cohesion and make
all they own lil' soup and this is the big mistake what they are make ..
Linux it is a great System, but it is lack of cohesion for really working together
in one packetbundle
(like deb,rpm and other shit (winnt have setup and packformats include cap, zip and rar which all can use))
and workcroft on one pot, which it is not. Any of they Distributors have an own Repository,
own packformats for installing, no common "iso"-certification installformats and no easy to use,
download and install, because the whole dependencies what's it is must to be dissolved before to be the the programs works..

letz us looking kde 1.0 , 3.5 and at last the new KDE Plasma megapack 5.10 nothing fit's together and have one stand..
kde1 and kde3.5 works not together any more with Plasma 5.10 ..
take a look.. Windows 95 .. and dosprograms works up to today, one common Standard and so on..

this is a more complication context as easy succinct to put on the table ..
There, on Linuxderivates it is not one Community's and one standard to be should it be as it is behind WinNT,
WinNT have one Standard and one Actuality which the whole Linux Community's and Distributors have not..

best regards
Blacky

dizt3mp3r
Posts: 1447
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:54 pm

Re: Windows 10 turns into a modular Platform

Post by dizt3mp3r » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:54 am

I don' t disagree with that Blacky, I just think it is the way that Microsoft will take Windows, whether sensible or not. It is time for Microsoft to take a major architectural change that achieves not a lot from the individual user perspective. Stick a new GUI on it and we're good to go!

Konata
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Windows 10 turns into a modular Platform

Post by Konata » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:00 am

I'm a bit confused, wasn't NT already pretty modular, especially after the MinWin restructuring? The WinAPI is just a subsystem over the Native API, GDI and all GUI/windowing systems above it are already modular and were ripped out of Nano Server, and even then Explorer was specifically designed to be replaceable from the beginning, with the location of it's executable being in the Registry where the user could easily change the value. What is there to change here?

Blackcrack
Posts: 1808
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 turns into a modular Platform

Post by Blackcrack » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:36 am

Konata wrote:I'm a bit confused, wasn't NT already pretty modular, especially after the MinWin restructuring? The WinAPI is just a subsystem over the Native API, GDI and all GUI/windowing systems above it are already modular and were ripped out of Nano Server, and even then Explorer was specifically designed to be replaceable from the beginning, with the location of it's executable being in the Registry where the user could easily change the value. What is there to change here?
well, Windows was Designed with 3.1 as System with a Surface,
Win95 was Designed as a System + Surface, included a File-manager in one Surface which means Explorer as integrated File-manager,
like i have feel it, where i was go from 3.11 to Win95 alfa ;) 0X .. the User have to use the Surface and the prompt so dos it's have to be 2nd rang
because the User have nothing to do with background, only over the Surface have he to be .. because under the surface be only the programmer
and the technical's and other Facilitys ;) hrhr .... how ever.. the whole was designed as one surface like a cadilac in one smooth form ...
and not really modular, if you have become with the update from Internet Explorer 6.0 and 6.1 was a Surface update too.
With an bit more but very fine update to be all more smooth ..
this was on 98's around and in direction of Windows Windows Millenium (which vers. it's no metter.. *g*)..
First with Win2000 (Win2K) was comes a nice Surface and a good system so far with the 2/3th Servicepack where was possible
to let run all around , incl. the games too.. up to this times was all Designed as one surface like Mac, but not so agressive .
Because in one hand was the thing with Netscape and later with Mozilla, it should hold an bit modular to be
able to use other Browsers and so on, you remind the Netscape or IE and Firefox or IE - Thing to have a choice ?
Would not have been, need we today also an Jailbrake on MS NT too like by different I' ware ....
Today on Win10 .. Would not have been the Open Source and many freeware, would have we
not the choice to have an open world with an choice .
So, in this direction an unmodular WinNT designed and ® © ℗ by MS
With the open Source and Free Software and CC Design it is the commerce World forced (include MS)
to be open and have to give possibility's where have the Users also the choice to use what the user wants
include an unencrypted Registry where it is the User in able for allow changes.
Otherwise we would be dependent on only one company and what it allows ... look to Apple and the past ...

best regards
Blacky

Konata
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: Windows 10 turns into a modular Platform

Post by Konata » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:50 am

Blackcrack wrote:
Konata wrote:I'm a bit confused, wasn't NT already pretty modular, especially after the MinWin restructuring? The WinAPI is just a subsystem over the Native API, GDI and all GUI/windowing systems above it are already modular and were ripped out of Nano Server, and even then Explorer was specifically designed to be replaceable from the beginning, with the location of it's executable being in the Registry where the user could easily change the value. What is there to change here?
well, Windows was Designed with 3.1 as System with a Surface,
Win95 was Designed as a System + Surface, included a File-manager in one Surface which means Explorer as integrated File-manager,
like i have feel it, where i was go from 3.11 to Win95 alfa ;) 0X .. the User have to use the Surface and the prompt so dos it's have to be 2nd rang
because the User have nothing to do with background, only over the Surface have he to be .. because under the surface be only the programmer
and the technical's and other Facilitys ;) hrhr .... how ever.. the whole was designed as one surface like a cadilac in one smooth form ...
and not really modular, if you have become with the update from Internet Explorer 6.0 and 6.1 was a Surface update too.
With an bit more but very fine update to be all more smooth ..
this was on 98's around and in direction of Windows Windows Millenium (which vers. it's no metter.. *g*)..
First with Win2000 (Win2K) was comes a nice Surface and a good system so far with the 2/3th Servicepack where was possible
to let run all around , incl. the games too.. up to this times was all Designed as one surface like Mac, but not so agressive .
Because in one hand was the thing with Netscape and later with Mozilla, it should hold an bit modular to be
able to use other Browsers and so on, you remind the Netscape or IE and Firefox or IE - Thing to have a choice ?
Would not have been, need we today also an Jailbrake on MS NT too like by different I' ware ....
Today on Win10 .. Would not have been the Open Source and many freeware, would have we
not the choice to have an open world with an choice .
So, in this direction an unmodular WinNT designed and ® © ℗ by MS
With the open Source and Free Software and CC Design it is the commerce World forced (include MS)
to be open and have to give possibility's where have the Users also the choice to use what the user wants .
Otherwise we would be dependent on only one company and what it allows ... look to Apple and the past ...

best regards
Blacky
I don't quite understand your post. You're talking about early NT and even 9x which isn't NT at all. NT has been restructured plenty since then and has become very modular. Even then, NT has always been modular and it's actually pretty easy to replace parts of it with custom ones. Just ask the ReactOS developers, or even the companies that sell custom real-time HAL.DLLs.
NT was designed, from the very beginning, to be extremely modular and adaptable. Microsoft wanted an operating system that could run on any hardware, and support any API layer, and it did that incredibly well. This is the basic history of NT and you can't avoid bumping into it when reading about the history of NT or OS/2. Even the WinAPI is just another subsystem, even if the Native API is very similar and, in older version of NT, the kernel even relied on the WinAPI subsystem.
And, while NT originally was a bit of a mess with lots of circular dependencies, MinWin cleaned a lot of that up, and ultimately it shows with GDI being easily torn out of the system while plenty of console applications can still run fine.
So I really don't know what else can possibly be done here. Like, I could see WinRT needing a bit of an overhaul to not require the WinAPI, but aside from that I'd think it would be trivial to rip out everything in NT with no affect to critical system integrity. But I must be mistaken if this article exists, so, what am I missing? COM dependencies maybe? I don't know.

Blackcrack
Posts: 1808
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 turns into a modular Platform

Post by Blackcrack » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:00 am

yep, 3.11 was the first WinNT and then be made in 2 Systems, one for the Users only and
one for pure Network management and Server Systems ..

this was it also why i go into win95 and then later to W2K where
i have not spoken over WinNT 4.0 ;) and i have speak over WinXP then..
and the 2nd, i the 2nd, you have answered by self ;)
so, i must go ..

best regards
Blacky

middings
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:18 pm
Location: California, USA

Re: Windows 10 turns into a modular Platform

Post by middings » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:47 am

Konata wrote:(W)asn't NT already pretty modular, especially after the MinWin restructuring?
That is what I thought too, from reading all the articles in the popular computing press. I read the article Blacky shared the link to. To me in my ignorance, Microsoft's Andromeda seems like a revival of Microsoft Windows RT.

erkinalp
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:55 pm

Re: Windows 10 turns into a modular Platform

Post by erkinalp » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Kernel was modular but userspace was vastly interdependent. Project Andromeda will provide more modular userspace.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2

Quim
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:45 pm

Re: Windows 10 turns into a modular Platform

Post by Quim » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:14 am

Can "chocolatey" packet manager help to make ReactOS modular too?
https://chocolatey.org/

EmuandCo
Developer
Posts: 4323
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:52 pm
Location: Germany, Bavaria, Steinfeld
Contact:

Re: Windows 10 turns into a modular Platform

Post by EmuandCo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:59 pm

I ugly packet manager made off .net is not what makes a OS modular. LOCKED due to thread necromancy
Image
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], DotBot [Crawler] and 3 guests