Druaga1 is Installing New ReactOS on 3 Computers (0.4.6)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jedi-to-be

Druaga1 is Installing New ReactOS on 3 Computers (0.4.6)

Post by Jedi-to-be »

dizt3mp3r

Re: Druaga1 is Installing New ReactOS on 3 Computers (0.4.6)

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Why? Everyone knows (or should know) that it is unlikely to work on any hardware at any time until ReactOS leaves Beta. It hasn't even left Alpha yet so why would anyone expect otherwise? Even then it will still be debatable as to whether all hardware will function as expected.

I'm thinking of putting a video of ReactOS CD sitting on a rock, asking why it won't install itself onto multiple bits of hardware sitting 25 yards away only connected by elastic bands. I know the answer should be self-evident but I thought I'd do it anyway.

If there is some other question you want to be discussed then please elucidate further because I may be missing something.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

I have 9 different PCs and ReactOS works on 7 of them.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Jedi-to-be wrote:I have 9 different PCs and ReactOS works on 7 of them.
Virtual machines are not acceptable.( If that is the case )
I have one laptop but ReactOS does not boot on it natively !
Virtual machine works though.
Open Your Windows To Freedom
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

Virtual machines are not acceptable.( If that is the case )
ReactOS works on Real H\W on 7 from 9 of my PCs
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Jedi-to-be wrote:ReactOS works on Real H\W on 7 from 9 of my PCs
Of your pcs' give description.
Interested in buying one or two, am I. Yes, hmmm.
Last edited by Adcock on Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Adcock, from time to time, foolish can be.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Adcock, from time to time, foolish can be.
I am going to take this as an advice.
But I also want to run ReactOS on real hardware.
Mostly for testing purposes.
Edit: :oops:
I have been misunderstood.
In my previous post I meant that I will take note of those pcs' that works so that I can find them in the local stores and use them for the same purpose. Hope that everybody understands me this time.
Last edited by Adcock on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

If you wanna test a alpha state OS, then do so in the supported platforms, which are VBox, VMWare and QEMU. Rest is only interesting if you can provide boot logs from the failing real HW, too.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

EmuandCo wrote:If you wanna test a alpha state OS, then do so in the supported platforms, which are VBox, VMWare and QEMU. Rest is only interesting if you can provide boot logs from the failing real HW, too.
How ?
Note: I only have one computer.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

*Druaga1 records a new ReactOS video*
*Happiness intensifies*

It's a pity though he doesn't know the basics of debugging so with all of his collection of hardware he can report incompatibility issues to JIRA. It'd have been great. Overall a decent video and can't wait for the next ReactOS video by Druaga. :D
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Interesting. It seems like the USB support is still a major problem.
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

PurpleGurl wrote:Interesting. It seems like the USB support is still a major problem.
Yes, that's why Vadim Galant needs your help =)
Michael Long

Post by Michael Long »

Well, he uploaded a video about ReactOS 0.4.0, about ReactOS 0.4.3 and one about ReactOS 0.4.6, so it might take some time for the next to come.

The alpha-no-real-hardware-argument is a little feeble. An alpha test is (in my opinion) what the developers do while they are working: They program a part and then they test it. These kind of tests are (in my opinion) called "alpha tests" and there are dozens of them while the development is proceeding. After some time sometimes a so called "beta test" starts. That is (in my understanding) a moderated test where the software is opened to non-developers for testing purpose. There can be several tests of this kind. After harnessing the results of the beta tests the developers might decide to continue the development with further alpha tests before releasing the final version. ReactOS is an open source project which provides compiled versions to the public for testing purposes while in parallel the development is running.

Anyway ReactOS has the state it has. Real hardware support is on the agenda and continued to improve with the time passing by.

Videos like the one from Druaga1 is helpful in several ways: It shows how people react to ReactOS, it shows which problems people face in real life situations with ReactOS and it is also some kind of motivating to fix the problems that occured. :-)
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Michael Long wrote:The alpha-no-real-hardware-argument is a little feeble.
No it isn't. The o/s is significantly incomplete and hardware support is patchy at best. Testing it on real hardware is most likely just to show you that it doesn't work at all - what a great test that is! If you don't get this what other information are you failing to comprehend? - if I was at that level of understanding I'd be worried. ;)

'A little feeble'... The alpha state says it all - it is simply not ready for use, how could it be stated more simply? Lower your expectations and you'll realise that the alpha-no-real-hardware-argument is entirely valid until the developers state otherwise.