Something for your lawyers...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Adcock

Re: Something for your lawyers...

Post by Adcock »

hbelusca wrote:Please read this answer:
http://www.reactos.org/pipermail/ros-de ... 18589.html
I feel safe and powerful. 8-)
Open Your Windows To Freedom
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Yeah but... things have moved on. They haven't just taken the name, now they have adopted the logo too.

If you visit their new site they have more or less adopted the same name/logo combination we have.

If they have known about ReactOS for so long it clearly shows where they are getting their ideas.

If we don't resolve this, with Facebook's backing they will become the dominant software provider with a user base many times our own and will be able to rightly claim that we have not defended our position and have therefore forfeited our rights to the name.

Disambiguation? I see none. I see only confusion, denial and defence of their position. That email just states we have no real intention of claiming our rights, ergo, in the future we will most likely lose them if that project grows to become the de facto user of the name and logo. Time for a project name change?

Is it time to seriously reopen that thread about a better project name for ReactJS sorry, ReactOS?

Joking aside, we do need to assert our rights to the name at the very least. Disambiguation? I struggle to see how some disclaimers/links on our sites really helps the situation. We have to assert our rights to the logo/name combination.
If they keep the name then they do at least have to change the logo... that just makes sense.

That lawyer chaps aeneas was correct in some of his assertions, forget the monetary/suing side of things, let's just assert our rights to the logo and name combination.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Can we expect help from FSF if they [ ReactJS ] don't comply?
ReactJS is not ReactOS, is it?
ReactOS = Operating System binary compatible with "MS Windows"
ReactJS = JavaScript library for building user interfaces
ReactOS is a different trademark and so is ReactJS, isn't that right?
Why would they overlap? Why collision? :?
Open Your Windows To Freedom
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Oh, I am sure we all have our thoughts regarding this issue.

But they are not important now: the matter has been reviewed and handled. If that is the outcome - that is the outcome. If anyone is dissatisfied with this, he may draw his own conclusions and decisions from here on. And yes, in our projects, and with out brands, we may act differently.

But we should not act like kids here: it is their hobby and their project, after all. So kindly thank you all for having had a look at this.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Ah, and dizt3mp3r:

Your message to them on their Github-page was ... brilliant. I mean, I really could learn something from you there - in particular the rhetoric twist in the beginning, "It is an answer to the concern but it does not resolve it", was amazing - you stood your ground firmly, yet very kindly and gentleman-like.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Thankyou! If you need any help wording something tricky - let me know!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
black soul choir

Post by black soul choir »

Seriously? I think, that you are overracting. It is really not good for ReactOS reputation in free software, attacking other project, where neither logo or name do not trick users to think those two projects are related.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

black sour choir wrote:where neither logo or name do not trick users to think those two projects are related.
Ugh? The only difference between ReactOS and ReactJS is by one letter and that already confuses people mainly average Joe's. One would understand that ReactJS also develops ReactOS, an Operating System built from ground up which is of course completely wrong as they don't. The logo may not matter that much but the name, IMHO, it is!

Furthermore I do not see any attacking attempt from our ReactOS Team. We only raise a voice, a message that tells the other project that there is something wrong and that needs to be solved in the near future. From my part I have nothing against ReactJS (I appreciate their work building a JavaScript library) however the name is something that I am concerned about.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Fraizeraust wrote: Furthermore I do not see any attacking attempt from our ReactOS Team. We only raise a voice, a message that tells the other project that there is something wrong and that needs to be solved in the near future. From my part I have nothing against ReactJS (I appreciate their work building a JavaScript library) however the name is something that I am concerned about.
I concur!
florian

Post by florian »

And let's not forget ReactX (as an intended DirectX substitute) which was once tried to be developed by some members of ReactOS.

ReactJS and its logo are thus truly quiet... confusable.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Apologies for re-opening this old-ish thread but I feel all relevant information should be in the one single spot re: the name/logo situation.

This post tells a lot about Facebook and its aggressive stance towards defending its intellectual property and extending that over other projects. We ought to be worried.
React.js is built by the Facebook Corporation, that is using the software license to protect it's business. For most projects and developers using React is not risky, but many large enterprises as well as other Open Source projects continue to be weary of React.js.

In a nightmare situation things could go this way ff your company uses React.js in any form or shape. Facebook literally steals your source code, and you file a lawsuit against them... The React license allows Facebook to automatically sue you for patent claims on React. Even if the code they stole has NOTHING to do with React.

Here is a collection of resources that will help developers, lawyers and decision makers decide whether using React for their products and other implementations is feasible, or whether they should consider React as harmful for their projects.

React to React, from the Open Source Initiative https://opensource.org/node/862
React patents clarification, adoption at Apple and Microsoft http://react-etc.net/entry/react-patent ... -microsoft
Facebook React.js License, from El Camino Legal LLC https://www.elcaminolegal.com/single-po ... js-License
Apache Foundation bans use of Facebook BSD+Patents licensed libraries like React.js http://react-etc.net/entry/apache-found ... e-react-js
Facebook Open Source License FAQ https://code.facebook.com/pages/850928938376556
You can find the link to this article here: https://react-etc.net/page/react-js-patents
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Waking an old thread from the dead - I didn't think it appropriate to create a new just for a couple of related lines.

I note that the makers of Flow "a FOSS functional language with C-family syntax" have just elected to keep the name despite the fact that Facebook have brought out a product with the same name. Flow had the name first but it did not stop Facebook from usurping the name entirely and the similarity of the name is bound to cause confusion despite flow language existing long before Facebook's offering.