Benefits of GitHub?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Fraizeraust

Benefits of GitHub?

Post by Fraizeraust »

I realise the question might not hold some sense from a layman like me but what GitHub would benefit ReactOS in general, apart from Git being used widely by programmers and developers alike?
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
gigaherz

Re: Benefits of GitHub?

Post by gigaherz »

I don't normally post in the forums, but I will make an exception this time:
  • Public exposure: github is widely known and makes it easy for existing git users to contribute.
  • Local git history: everyone gets an entire copy of all the history, meaning browsing the logs, creating branches, etc. are all local operations that perform much faster and smoother.
  • Better contribution workflow: external contributors that aren't in the trusted commiters group are able to submit pullrequests instead of patches, which makes the task of writing AND merging those changes better for everyone.
  • Most of the team wanted to switch away from svn: meaning on average, we are all happier and with renewed excitement for the project.
Konata

Post by Konata »

I for one could never navigate that JIRA thing for the life of me, GitHub's UI is really simple and coherent, so that's one thing I'm particularly happy about.
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

Then I'm sad to inform you, that we only use github for pull requests, not for submitting bug reports. That still goes through JIRA. ;P
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I have some criticisms such as the allegedly bizarre beliefs and behaviors of those who run it. I read an article that alleged anti-white racist practices. Not sure how true that is, or even if that would impact us in the least even if it were true. I am just throwing that out there. I for one am not interested in discussing those political aspects.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

So far~ it's grind development to a halt. I know, it's new and stuff like that. Just cuz Microsoft uses it, still think that's a lie or not telling the full story about it. Can you really trust them?

I'll play with it more tomorrow.

GIT? Get? Got? Get out of here!
val

Post by val »

I tried git for Windows. Not even digging into any practical use, just cloned some tiny project. But even typing elementary commands makes spikes in CPU usage. Really? command line utility showing its version should eat up that much CPU? It derives its version from DNA deciphering or what? Literally anything did so. Maybe it's normal for linux, after all - anything there runs CPU hungry, but for me it's meh. So I stopped even thinking about its use. I threw away the idea to use linux itself because of the same reason years ago. It's inefficient AF.

After all why this git thing? What benefits? Just because "everybody does so"?

So you say now any person from outside willing to suggest some "patch", should mess up with these "pull requests"? No Svn anymore?

What the anti-white racist thing? PurpleGirl, maybe you have some links to read about this interesting thing?
Konata wrote:I for one could never navigate that JIRA thing for the life of me, GitHub's UI is really simple and coherent, so that's one thing I'm particularly happy about.
true, but it's slow as hell.
Last edited by val on Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

gigaherz wrote:I don't normally post in the forums, but I will make an exception this time:
  • Public exposure: github is widely known and makes it easy for existing git users to contribute.
  • Local git history: everyone gets an entire copy of all the history, meaning browsing the logs, creating branches, etc. are all local operations that perform much faster and smoother.
  • Better contribution workflow: external contributors that aren't in the trusted commiters group are able to submit pullrequests instead of patches, which makes the task of writing AND merging those changes better for everyone.
  • Most of the team wanted to switch away from svn: meaning on average, we are all happier and with renewed excitement for the project.
That says a lot. Thanks for your answer!
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

One major pitfall however: one very-long term core developer seems to leave the project. :o :(
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

hbelusca wrote:One major pitfall however: one very-long term core developer seems to leave the project. :o :(
Eric Kohl? SHIT. I'll be really sad if he leaves...
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

hbelusca wrote:One major pitfall however: one very-long term core developer seems to leave the project. :o :(
Kind of OT but please don't tell me it's true... :(
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Hope it's not you.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

PurpleGurl wrote:
Hope it's not you.
Nah, not me. But we are currently finding a way to improve the workflow for core developers.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

He'll come back soon.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

OT: Since I aroused curiosity, here are some links:

http://www.businessinsider.com/github-t ... ory-2016-2

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2016/02/0 ... sity-team/

Look at the presentation list. The first and last items come across as offensive to me.

It seems they started out erring in the other direction where the code that was allowed and the atmosphere was allegedly sexist and racist.

https://gizmodo.com/5980842/there-is-bl ... ithub-code

And if you search, you'll find more.