The story of Munich

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tverweij

The story of Munich

Post by tverweij »

It started several years ago - Munich wanted to be independent and run on open source only.
The story: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how ... f-the-city

But now, a few years later: Linux is ditched and windows is back: http://www.techrepublic.com/article/dit ... 9177955738

Such a shame that ReactOS wasn't ready or cooperating with this city.
Adcock

Re: The story of Munich

Post by Adcock »

"The "LiMux" operating system,
which cost around 19 million euros,
has obviously proved to be a wrong
decision.
If that was donated to ReactOS Foundation then I would be using ReactOS on my laptop instead of Windows 10.
Linux is just not capable of doing so many important things that are required by professionals.
Windows/ReactOS is the only option.
Or you can just make all those apps and services for linux before you tell anyone to use it.
However that is not the topic.
The thing is MS Windows was not developed by just 100+ developers.
There are so many developers who work for MS and are developing updates for Windows that won't even make it to Windows.
I don't think we need that many developers.
If only one million euro was donated to this project ReactOS would be ready.
Munich's leaders wanted to get full independence from proprietary
software.
So even if ReactOS was complete what they wanted was totally irrealistic.
Show me some IA32 supported FOSS hardware.( wifi, router, mother board, modem )
There are many proprietary softwares which have no good professional FOSS alternative.
So the scarcity of both FOSS hardware and software in critical sectors made their goal even more difficult to achieve.
So don't blame ReactOS project. :cry:
The city is the one who did not cooperate.
Now the thing is that if you created this topic to show how money is wasted then that was one of the best classes I have ever attended.
If you are saying that ReactOS failed Munich then remember that reality is exactly the opposite.

You are free to blame me for my English.
Last edited by Adcock on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Open Your Windows To Freedom
tverweij

Post by tverweij »

No I do not create this topic to show money is wasted.
And I won't blame you for your English - I do not think mine is any better :D

The topic is to show that there is demand for ReactOS.
And I think ReactOS can be the next Windows.

But - as I stated in another thread - it should be less hobby and more professional - I mean: stop working on what you like and start working on what is needed.
The only way (as I see it) for reactOS to succeed is to work on demand:
1. Provide hardware support so it can be used on real hardware
2. Ask the users which applications should be supported
3. Work together with other (non IT) organizations that would like to implement ReactOS to replace Windows and see what they need to achieve this.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

tverweij wrote:No I do not create this topic to show money is wasted.
And I won't blame you for your English - I do not think mine is any better :D

The topic is to show that there is demand for ReactOS.
And I think ReactOS can be the next Windows.

But - as I stated in another thread - it should be less hobby and more professional - I mean: stop working on what you like and start working on what is needed.
The only way (as I see it) for reactOS to succeed is to work on demand:
1. Provide hardware support so it can be used on real hardware
2. Ask the users which applications should be supported
3. Work together with other (non IT) organizations that would like to implement ReactOS to replace Windows and see what they need to achieve this.
Blimey, I did not see this side at all.
You are quite right. I strongly support.
I still think that one million euro would speed up the process.
Besides, devs have their own work too.
Lets not push them.
I think that they are trying their best.
Open Your Windows To Freedom
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Adcock, your English is fine. You may be corrected for clarity's sake or readability. Don't worry about it. This forum is one of those places where clarity and expression is appreciated. If you are ever corrected please take it as help.

With regard to the progress of development, you are correct too. The method is - don't ever be frustrated. ReactOS is a huge task, it is steady and making good way. The world is full of 'ifs' and possibilities. ReactOS is working better than ever before.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
florian

Post by florian »

Munich dispanded LiMux OS but Schleswig-Holstein heralds the "end" of Microsoft - as they want to replace Closed-Source by Open-Source-Software in the long run (www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Schlesw ... 49115.html).

The German Federation of Taxpayers featured the LiMux project in a roundup of projects that have "wasted" public money. "The LiMux OS, which cost around 19 million euros, has obviously proved to be a wrong decision. Penguin, adieu!" states a comment of the city (as far as I understood one of your techrepublic-articles)...

But according to Heise Online (German IT magazin) the so-called "follow-up wrong decision" (German Federation of Taxpayers) leaves the fact ouside that Munich could save after its own calculations with the migration to free software over ten million years over ten million euros. It is also ignored that the back-migration was not necessary due to technical errors at LiMux and that this was a political decision. The bureaucrat opponents also do not consider that in other cities like Schwäbisch-Hall everything runs smoothly with Linux (www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/LiMux-B ... 51844.html).

And the IT-analysis of Accenture ("a leading global professional services company" & Microsoft's Avanade partner...) didn't address the issue of the comprehensive cost of remigration to Windows and the associated Office package, too. According to the available "results" of the per se non-public opinion, the analysts estimated only flat-rate expenditure on the architecture and client program at 18.9 million euros. They also estimated the licensing fees for Microsoft products to be as low as 6 million euros and the installation costs for the first three years to one million (www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Rueckke ... 46634.html)...

According to Heise Online the Document Foundation believes that the turnaround would cost the taxpayer a total of 90 million euros over the next six years, although the hardware costs for the necessary computer replacement are not yet included.

Anyway, major & small enterprises as well as public authorities don't need an experimental OS. They want to use a functional OS. Thus, they probably won't spend their money to ReactOS. Even I wouldn't because of Suse Linux, TrueBSD, Wine & Co...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

migration to free software over ten million years
Personally, I feel the timescale is too loooooong.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.