Does installation of ReactOS-0.4.6-iso from USB work??

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

compc99

Does installation of ReactOS-0.4.6-iso from USB work??

Post by compc99 »

Hi Reactos Team,
Does installation of ReactOS-0.4.6-iso from USB work?? i want to remove Windows 7 and install reactos on my old laptop.
someone posted youtube video to install unofficial ISO bootcd-ReactOS-0.4.5-vgal.iso by changing correct freeldr.ini.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX0MpUgSuR0

is there any official update expected soon ??? can developers please look into this workaround and release a official version which will help thousands of people with laptops without CD-drive. thanks.

*************************************************************************************************
"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success." --Henry Ford
*************************************************************************************************
oldman

Re: Does installation of ReactOS-0.4.6-iso from USB work??

Post by oldman »

compc99 wrote:Does installation of ReactOS-0.4.6-iso from USB work??
The answer to your question is, yes and no! I believe someone was able to install via USB, but others who have tried to install via USB have failed!
compc99 wrote:I want to remove Windows 7 and install reactos on my old laptop.
1. If you are thinking to install ReactOS on your main computer, to use it as an everyday operating system instead of Windows 7! Then DON'T DO IT!
If it is a second computer, then go ahead and try.

2. If it has not got a CD/DVD drive, then it is not that old and therefore ReactOS may fail to even install!
compc99 wrote:someone posted youtube video to install unofficial ISO bootcd-ReactOS-0.4.5-vgal.iso by changing correct freeldr.ini.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX0MpUgSuR0
All I want to say here, is, that vgal is one of the ReactOS developers.
compc99 wrote:is there any official update expected soon ???
Yes! The 0.4.7 release should be out sometime in November.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

oldman wrote:Yes! The 0.4.7 release should be out sometime in November.
I suspect the next release is expected to come in December considering the three-months cadence and the previous release committed in the first day of September.

Speaking for the OP, the 0.4.7 release is believed to bring various USB fixes thanks to a guy named vgal. Therefore you'd be able to boot ReactOS from a USB device but not at the moment. (any developers can confirm this if it's true)
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
oldman

Post by oldman »

Fraizeraust wrote:
I suspect the next release is expected to come in December considering the three-months cadence and the previous release committed in the first day of September.
It will only come out in December if it takes more than a full month to prepare!

There is already a Release 0.4.7 branch and I have just updated my local source and git describe gives me 0.4.8-dev-19-g840320cbd1, also I saw the 0.4.7 branch in the down load log.

Is that proof enough, that within a few weeks there will be a 0.4.7 release?
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

oldman wrote:There is already a Release 0.4.7 branch and I have just updated my local source and git describe gives me 0.4.8-dev-19-g840320cbd1, also I saw the 0.4.7 branch in the down load log.
Hmm. Makes me wonder why the developers did not commit a release candidate for 0.4.7 and posted a new wiki page for 0.4.7 tests like before then? Am I missing something? :shock:
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
oldman

Post by oldman »

Fraizeraust wrote:
oldman wrote:There is already a Release 0.4.7 branch and I have just updated my local source and git describe gives me 0.4.8-dev-19-g840320cbd1, also I saw the 0.4.7 branch in the down load log.
Hmm. Makes me wonder why the developers did not commit a release candidate for 0.4.7 and posted a new wiki page for 0.4.7 tests like before then? Am I missing something?
They start first by making a release branch, then when they are ready for testing, they do a release candidate ISO. So the process as only just begun. There is not yet an actual 0.4.7 release!
petr-akhlamov

Post by petr-akhlamov »

That, what you was see - results of work of Vadim Galyant (Vgal). He writing new usb-drivers for ReactOS and proposes their to community for testing. In his blog he was write about autoinstallaton (first stage) ReactOS from USB, without using USB-keyboards.

(for reading use translator)
http://vgal.ru.com/reactos-0-4-5-boot-usb/
compc99

Post by compc99 »

Fraizeraust wrote:

Speaking for the OP, the 0.4.7 release is believed to bring various USB fixes thanks to a guy named vgal. Therefore you'd be able to boot ReactOS from a USB device but not at the moment. (any developers can confirm this if it's true)
yes.... i m eagerly waiting for the new release...hope it comes out early.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

As far as I know, vgal's drivers are still in review phase (and many bugfixes/new features might be needed), more from that, this kind major changes are generally done in trunk (not in release branches) so expect delays. 0.4.7, for now, includes only minor Coverity-based fixes.

usbport (base driver of USB) is in trunk, but still needs improvements. usbhub (controls USB hubs) is in trunk also, but still didn't replace old one. usb(e/o/u)hci and other drivers is waiting.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr