ReactOS (USB) TO GO

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

reactosuser7

ReactOS (USB) TO GO

Post by reactosuser7 »

To install ReactOS on a USB stick and use it.
How far we are of it?

Does FreeLdr recognizes USB as installable disks?
Someone who test it...

Could Vgal do the same work as:
http://vgal.ru.com/category/reactos/
milon

Re: ReactOS (USB) TO GO

Post by milon »

Rufus is an easy way to create bootable USB drives from an iso file. I really don't think USB booting works in ReactOS yet. But you could try it and see!
Konata

Post by Konata »

milon wrote:Rufus is an easy way to create bootable USB drives from an iso file. I really don't think USB booting works in ReactOS yet. But you could try it and see!
USB booting works, that's a very simplistic way to boot an OS, you don't need actual USB drivers to do it.
IIRC ReactOS Live is a little quirky, I don't know how it'll behave on USB, but it should work. I've never used ReactOS Live but from what I hear, it really just prefers to be installed fully.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

What, you don't need USB for it?! Who told you that? Tell this a kernel and drivers communicating to your hardware and say that again.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Konata

Post by Konata »

EmuandCo wrote:What, you don't need USB for it?! Who told you that? Tell this a kernel and drivers communicating to your hardware and say that again.
I thought UEFI or something could boot from USB, so that the OS didn't strictly need drivers to boot. Maybe I'm confused with something else.
val

Post by val »

BIOS could do this too. UEFI should.
But for the OS not having its own USB stack support, there should have been a special means to load everything needed into RAM, not only what an ordinary boot process loads. Thus, for a "live" OS session, kind of "ramdisk" should have been prepared and then loaded (by the loader through BIOS/UEFI).

For the OS installation on a USB mass storage device and making it a boot device and using it, it's not possible without the OS supporting USB. Because using BIOS calls to access its own boot device at run time is a very bad idea, and UEFI provides such a support only for the Boot Services time, it all gets invalidated after ExitBootServices() call made by the OS loader as a final step in taking over control of the system.
milon

Post by milon »

It doesn't haven't to be a Live version if we're running off USB. But ReactOS really needs the USB stack & drivers first.