Does ReactOS work with XP drivers?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Massimone

Does ReactOS work with XP drivers?

Post by Massimone »

A question I don't see on this forum, so I posted that.

I have (and some of my customers have) old WinXP hardware, perfectly working. I tried some XP drivers (scanners, SCSI adapters and other stuff) on ReactOS 0.4.7, but it crashed. :evil:

So, I'm asking you guys how good is ReactOS now on the driver support front, if there is anything to know to make old XP drivers work on ReactOS and what are your plans on that matter. It would be a big incentive for many people to revive their hardware with new machines. :)
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: Does ReactOS work with XP drivers?

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

There is not really a answer to this question. No one is really working full-time here, so people just commit code on their spare time. If you want to help speed up progress, then you can donate some money and/or find some C/C++ with Windows knowledge who would like to help this project.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Driver support is very hit-or-miss due to issues in the underlying subsystems and ROS's current shakiness on real hardware. The goal, long-term, is to have full compatibility for XP and Server 2003 drivers.

If you were up to the challenge, you could do some additional testing and submit logs attached to bug reports in JIRA. The devs can't work on things that aren't well documented.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Massimone wrote:A question I don't see on this forum, so I posted that.

I have (and some of my customers have) old WinXP hardware, perfectly working. I tried some XP drivers (scanners, SCSI adapters and other stuff) on ReactOS 0.4.7, but it crashed. :evil:

So, I'm asking you guys how good is ReactOS now on the driver support front, if there is anything to know to make old XP drivers work on ReactOS and what are your plans on that matter. It would be a big incentive for many people to revive their hardware with new machines. :)
You can also try sending a bug report JIRA with taking a debug log.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr