ReactOS on Patreon?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ROCKNROLLKID

ReactOS on Patreon?

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Has anyone thought about creating a Patreon for ReactOS? Patreon is actually a nice funding method, especially for early project work like ReactOS.
dsp8195

Re: ReactOS on Patreon?

Post by dsp8195 »

The major caveat is Patreon takes a cut. A rather large one, and can refuse to give you the money by the end of the month for no apparent reason. Screw them.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

dsp8195 wrote:The major caveat is Patreon takes a cut. A rather large one, and can refuse to give you the money by the end of the month for no apparent reason. Screw them.
They take as much as kickstarter does and less then what gofundme does (some others I seen suggested before). The difference is that Patreon doesn't really require you to have a finished project, just as long as you have something to present and show to users and that you are progressing it. Kickstarter, in my opinion, is more for people who want to use it now and want to see it expand.

I have never heard of Patreon take money for no reason, but they can take money away, especially if you are breaking their rules. All fundraising sites can take money away from projects for various reasons.
Walt

Post by Walt »

I sure think this ought to be considered. ROS is beyond pure gleam in the eye and bits of code: It's usable just as it is for a very narrow kind of job -- browsing the web without any output other than to the screen. One or more full time developers to add support for the rest of the basic devices and to expand the fraction of XP-era programs it can run could make it a real 'thing' almost overnight.

I've got maybe 40 hours of browsing time with it now: The file system is SOLID as far as I can tell. Not a single 'sorry -- got to check for errors' let alone a need to reinstall. There are BSODs and loops every hour or three when I get off the beaten path (for example by trying to install a ?? piece of software), less than that running Firefox 30. Since the file system doesn't get messed up those are just 'turn off the power and reboot.'

The world needs ROS. People looking to donate money are where the money is -- not smallbore geeks who will try out interesting code and donate the price of a few beers. (Not to disparage us smallbore geeks!) The project is more likely to get the support it deserves if it goes looking than otherwise.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

2+ year old post mate.

Anyways looking back, I still think it would be a interesting idea. Maybe have 1$ option, 5$ with a section you can put these people names in as thanks, 10$ can access maybe a private chat or something, 20$ not sure, maybe name on first page of website, then maybe like a 50$ where people can get a bootcd/ramdisk/usb drive with ReactOS on it.

I am sure anyone can actually do this, ReactOS is registered as a community project, according to wiki. I sort of was hesitating at the time because of it's stability, but quite a few users have been using 4.12/dailies and reporting their system is running fine and using it on their laptops/thinkpads, which is pretty impressive in my opinion.
Jah-On

Post by Jah-On »

5=Name on front page
10=Name on splash screen
20= Name on desktop background
100= Application named in your name
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Eh, I don't think we should do splash screen. Desktop background sounds good. I am thinking probably like this:

5=Name on a wiki page with other patreons
10=Name on first page (Would anyone be able to manage this?)
20=Name on desktop background would be good.
50/100=Not sure. Application in your name would be too much work to create a application for each user. I think the bootcd/ramdisk/usb would be a better way to go and we can name it their name, too.
1000=Probably something more future we can do but maybe we can ship them a laptop that works with ReactOS.
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

You seem to be missing the point that this is about monthly donations. So "do a one time thing" like shipping hardware is not a good reward.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

ThFabba wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:12 pm You seem to be missing the point that this is about monthly donations. So "do a one time thing" like shipping hardware is not a good reward.
Ya your right. I have seen people do one time things on patreon before, but I have no idea how they work out. Maybe save that kind of hardware for like a kickstarter or some fund raising thing. The names seem to be a better way to go. How about something like this:

1=Just a simple tip/thank you.
5=Name on wiki page
10=Name on front of website
20=Name on a desktop background

Maybe something like that. We can def get one setup and go from there.
Jah-On

Post by Jah-On »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:48 pm
The names seem to be a better way to go. How about something like this:

1=Just a simple tip/thank you.
5=Name on wiki page
10=Name on front of website
20=Name on a desktop background

Maybe something like that. We can def get one setup and go from there.
Agreed.

100= Name on unremovable, always on top, text area! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: