Where is VirtualBox Guest Additions?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

timothylegg

Where is VirtualBox Guest Additions?

Post by timothylegg »

Hello,

I am needing to set up a shared folder so that I can copy over software installers. The documentation provided little help...

https://www.reactos.org/wiki/VirtualBox ... _Additions

I don't know which CD I was supposed to mount. I went on and downloaded the live CD too. I couldn't find the file VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe on either CD image. It seems that it should be obvious. I spent about 20 minutes clicking through the different folders looking for it, even in the Documents/My_Videos and etc folders on the LiveCD that nobody ever uses. I don't seem to have a web browser to download it.

Lacking intuitive and documented approaches, how is this done?
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Where is VirtualBox Guest Additions?

Post by EmuandCo »

Well, I don't see any lack of intuitive documentation here.
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ns-windows
6 sec googling...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
oldman

Post by oldman »

I have had a look for info, for the OP, but I am finding it frustrating! Nobody say where to get the Virtualbox guest additions from!

I think that I may have had them in the past, as a seperate download, but I cannot find a link on Oracle's website anywhere!

This https://www.reactos.org/wiki/User:Matthiasbasler wiki may be helpful, but still no link to the Guest Additions.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

From the standard VBox help: "In the "Devices" menu in the virtual machine's menu bar, VirtualBox has a handy menu item named "Insert Guest Additions CD image", which mounts the Guest Additions ISO file inside your virtual machine. A Windows guest should then automatically start the Guest Additions installer, which installs the Guest Additions into your Windows guest. Other guest operating systems (or if automatic start of software on CD is disabled) need manual start of the installer."
Soooooooo~~~~~~~~~~~~
timothylegg

Post by timothylegg »

I do appreciate the link, but keep in mind that years from now, people may find the link broken.

So this is found on an ISO provided by the VirtualBox team. I downloaded the ISO image from http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/5.2.4/ which reflects my current version of VirtualBox. I installed the file, VBoxWindowsAdditions-x86.exe and now have read, write and execute access to the shared folder

You may be very smug with your use google comment. I do know how to use Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, AltaVista, Infoseek, Yahoo, AskJeeves and I used two of those before posting the question. That is precisely how I found those pages on ReactOS' website, one of which I cited, but the documentation didn't specify which CD image. I cannot assume that the VM host software knows how to interact with ReactOS, or how ReactOS may need to reach out to the VM using a toolset specifically compiled for ReactOS. I saw a specific filename listed in the documentation and believed that executable was compiled by the ReactOS project.

Users shouldn't have to rely on search engines in lieu of documentation. The documentation never specified that this software was not located on the Installer/Live CD, or where it could be found. I spent a fair amount of effort searching for it.

Thanks all for the help. The primary objective of the thread is resolved.
EmuandCo wrote:Well, I don't see any lack of intuitive documentation here.
https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04. ... ns-windows
6 sec googling...
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Not to muddy the waters, but I've never had to separately download the Guest Additions ISO. It should come with the VBox install.

If you're running on Windows, it should be there in C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox already.
hbelusca wrote: VirtualBox has a handy menu item named "Insert Guest Additions CD image", which mounts the Guest Additions ISO file inside your virtual machine.
This is all I've ever needed to do. It seems people are thinking that it's more complicated than it really is.
justincase

Post by justincase »

timothylegg wrote:I cannot assume that the VM host software knows how to interact with ReactOS, or how ReactOS may need to reach out to the VM using a toolset specifically compiled for ReactOS.
It shouldn't need to. The point of ReactOS is to be Windows compatible, so intuitively you should do it the same way that you would if you were using Windows.
karlexceed wrote:It seems people are thinking that it's more complicated than it really is.
Agreed.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.