Partition aligment

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rosh

Re: Partition aligment

Post by Rosh »

reactosuser7 wrote:The only way to confirm is to install ReactOS in a real HDD...
There is an issue of a program that checks partition aligment. If it only works to check partition aligment in ReactOS.
https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-14223

I also installed ReactOS on a PC but this program does not work in any build at the moment.
Rosh

Post by Rosh »

The problem about enumerating disks is, that out disk driver stack is not pnp-compliant. Therefore, the W2K-way of enumerating disks does not work. Diskat won't see any disk. The NT4-way of enumerating disks works perfectly, as you can see in usetup.exe. Scsiport.sys needs to be fixed
The NT4-way of enumerating disks works perfectly, as you can see in usetup.exe.
Is there a way to chech ReactOS partition aligment just using the NT4-way of enumerating disks?
whatevar

Post by whatevar »

If i understand it right, that you just have to check whether the first sector is at position 64 or not, you could even do it under DOS (provided you have a little knowledge about IRQs).

I think you would just start iterating through the sectors and look for a magic number, and once you found it, check if its address % 64 is 0 or not. And if the result isnt zero, realign it.

If a Commodore 64 had ports for todays hard disks, you could even use that.

Please correct me if im wrong. I was mainly struggling with VESA under Dos and never had a C64 :D
Errors found can be safely donated to greenpeace. If u should find money, better donate it to ReactOS.
Rosh

Post by Rosh »

Any more info about (links) ?
whatevar

Post by whatevar »

Errors found can be safely donated to greenpeace. If u should find money, better donate it to ReactOS.