Why should I switch to ReactOS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dederes

Why should I switch to ReactOS?

Post by dederes »

Hello,
I don't like Windows so much. I'm usually a Linux user but I would like to try ReactOS because Linux doesn't run on my new PC.
I've always been in doubt about what is the sense of using ReactOS since Windows is preinstalled in almost every PC, like mine. My question is: why do you think I should use ReactOS and not keep using Windows? Why a normal user should switch to ReactOS?

Don't get me wrong, I think ReactOS is a great project, developed from great people who did a great job in these years. I tried ReactOS for the first time in 2002-2003 and I can only imagine how difficult is to develop an OS like this. So THANKS for your work. I'm only guessing why a normal user with a Windows machine should use ReactOS in your opinion. Linux has a completely different approach, but ReactOS is something that can run Windows applications (a good thing), but also viruses, malwares etc (the bad thing)...
karlexceed

Re: Why should I switch to ReactOS?

Post by karlexceed »

For some people, they need a system that can run older software or work with older hardware. A lot of embedded devices or industrial controls still operate on XP (or older) OSes.

For some, the fact that ROS is free and open source immediately makes it better than Windows. No secret source code, no profiteering, no deliberate obsolescence...

For some, it's the fact that there's no corporation collecting "telemetry data" about how you use your system. Privacy concerns.

But there's plenty more reasons out there. These are just a few that popped into my head.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

dederes wrote: Why a normal user should switch to ReactOS?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15868#p123529
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Konata

Post by Konata »

Don't switch to ReactOS, not yet. It's alpha-grade software, it's not finished, it will crash and corrupt your data and itself and require a reinstallation. You will immediately regret it if you install it on a computer you actually plan to use.
You can follow the project and try to donate or bring more attention to it, that will speed progress along.
dederes

Post by dederes »

Thanks for your reply! ;)

These are all VERY good reasons, thank for sharing!