Google Summer of Code 2018

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ReactFan

Google Summer of Code 2018

Post by ReactFan »

ReactOS again qualified for google summer of code 2018 congratulations for the whole team and for those who will be given system development as part of this project. https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/org ... 621191168/
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: Google Summer of Code 2018

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Yes, right when I got home from worked, I checked GSoC and was excited to see ReactOS got in again. This is now 3 years in a row.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

That's a massive success for ReactOS. Once accepted every five years, we're finishing GSoC with perfect results.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Very good news.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Blitzen_Dóiteán

Post by Blitzen_Dóiteán »

Very good news indeed.
*blank*
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

More good news is that Wine and Freetype also got accepted in 2018. Anything these 2 do also benefits ReactOS as well.

Wine: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/org ... 193223680/

Freetype: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/org ... 168494080/
Blitzen_Dóiteán

Post by Blitzen_Dóiteán »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:More good news is that Wine and Freetype also got accepted in 2018. Anything these 2 do also benefits ReactOS as well.

Wine: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/org ... 193223680/

Freetype: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/org ... 168494080/
Awsome!
*blank*
complex

Post by complex »

I study at the magistracy, 2 year, I graduated from the bachelor's degree in computer software and computer systems. Most of the time was devoted to web development. But recently I began to actively develop applications in c ++ and with #. There were many different projects, and participated in the highly loaded. I like to write different software. The most interesting thing is to solve some versatile tasks that would constantly replenish the knowledge base from different areas. As for programming, I try to follow the standards and, if possible and adequately, use patterns. which makes the projects scalable and flexible. Always once new acquaintances, and I would like to get practice with people who are much more experienced than me and could give a good push in terms of development, because sometimes a couple of hours of communication with a knowledgeable person can give a basis that not everyone can buy even for a year of independent training!
Lebed71

Post by Lebed71 »

Hello! :D
I study applied mathematics and computer science in eng.unn.ru. :geek: I also have been working on server development for NodeJS for more than a year. :ugeek: I run the educational projects on C / C ++ (using C ++ 11 and newer language standards), as well as using C #. Development in the context of operating systems seems to me very exciting and challenging task, I hope that we will be able to cooperate successfully. ;)
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

Hey guys, and welcome. Please note that most of the mentors and GSoC admins are probably not following the forum. It's best to introduce yourself on the ROS-Dev mailing list and on the #reactos-dev IRC channel instead.

You may want to start by trying out ReactOS in a VM, as well as setting up RosBE to be able to build your own copy.
Perhaps you can figure out an area you might be interested in working on by playing with the OS and trying to run some applications, or by looking at the ideas list on the wiki.
The central wiki page linking to (hopefully) the most up to date information is: https://reactos.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2018

Please also note that there's been talk about requiring at least a simple patch submitted to the reactos git repository at https://github.com/reactos/reactos, so you may want to look at what you'll need to do to get there. The starter-project label on Jira has some suggestions for easy projects, but there aren't very many in the list at this point. People on IRC should be able to answer any questions you may have.

I'll go push that discussion along for you, so we can update the official page with what you need to know.
Thanks, and good luck!
-Thomas
ReTrO_HiTmAn

Post by ReTrO_HiTmAn »

Hello everyone! I am engaged in development of games and modifications (with use of c ++ ) + web design :) I know not too much.. I know how to create viruses 8-) .At the moment, looking for inspiration :cry:
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

ReTrO_HiTmAn wrote:I know not too much.. I know how to create viruses 8-)
I suspect you aren't wanted here with that on your CV.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

dizt3mp3r wrote:
Why do you say that? Anyone who knows how to write a anti-virus, security patches, or some form of protection against malware, would have to know how to create a virus/malware first, or at least a good one. Creating malware these days isn't rocket science anymore.
ReTrO_HiTmAn

Post by ReTrO_HiTmAn »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
dizt3mp3r wrote:
Why do you say that? Anyone who knows how to write a anti-virus, security patches, or some form of protection against malware, would have to know how to create a virus/malware first, or at least a good one. Creating malware these days isn't rocket science anymore.
Agreed :)
ReTrO_HiTmAn

Post by ReTrO_HiTmAn »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
dizt3mp3r wrote:
:mrgreen: