Is ReactOS Good Enough For Day To Day Use??

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DJboutit

Is ReactOS Good Enough For Day To Day Use??

Post by DJboutit »

I thinking about installing ReactOs on a 8 to 10 yr old computer with 4gb of ram is this OS good enough for stable day to day use?? All I plan to do is un Zararadio 1.6.2 MB Recaster and a few winamp plugins that will be 80% of the use and the rest will be using Pale Moon and surfing the internet a little to download more radio program. I need to know if going with Reactos would be worth it right now?? Is ReacostOS closer to Windows 2000 or XP and is there a x64 version of this OS??
Harteex

Re: Is ReactOS Good Enough For Day To Day Use??

Post by Harteex »

ReactOS is still in alpha and is NOT suitable for day to day use. It's only for testing at this point. While the mentioned programs might work, ReactOS can crash at any time, and also corrupt your data.

It's targeting Windows 2003, so it's therefor closer to WinXP.

Finally, there is a x64 version in progress, but it needs some more work before it'll work correctly.

As said, at his point, do not expect it to be stable or run all your software. But ReactOS is improving all the time, and has seen a quite dramatic increase in stability, so feel free to follow the project and see what happens in the future.
DJboutit

Post by DJboutit »

Would it be worth to try it out with these programs I have mentioned??
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Give it a go. It might just work, just set your expectations low and don't be disappointed.

If it works, don't push it too hard, one program at a time and you might have more luck than some.

Make sure there is nothing on that 'puter that you don't want to lose.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

It's definitively worth a try. Tests on real hardware are very appreciated. Please post eventually (well, definitively) occurring bugs to our Jira bugtracker. But as already stated, it is officially not ready for daily use.
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Put the results here: https://reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs or here for individual hardware: https://reactos.org/wiki/Supported_Hardware
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC