Video: Install ReactOS on REAL Hardware

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

techtalk

Video: Install ReactOS on REAL Hardware

Post by techtalk »

In this video, not only do we install ReactOS on REAL HARDWARE, but we also provide you with tips on how you can do the same. Enjoy!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o70-Mr1 ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by techtalk on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThFabba
Developer

Re: How To: Install ReactOS on REAL Hardware

Post by ThFabba »

Thank you for the video, but please don't cross-post to multiple sections of the forum. "Tutorials" seemed appropriate.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

Did you have any luck getting video drivers to work?
I wonder because afaik no one has succeeded in getting any integrated video chipsets working on ReactOS when using native drivers.
I suspect it could have something to do these chipsets making use of system ram instead of dedicated ram.
techtalk

Post by techtalk »

Zombiedeth wrote:Did you have any luck getting video drivers to work?
I wonder because afaik no one has succeeded in getting any integrated video chipsets working on ReactOS when using native drivers.
I suspect it could have something to do these chipsets making use of system ram instead of dedicated ram.
I haven't tried the video drivers just yet. The default video driver seems to work just fine so far but I may give it a try soon. I also want to see if I can get the WiFi drivers working, that would be really slick.
oldman

Re: Video: Install ReactOS on REAL Hardware

Post by oldman »

From your signature link, techtalk:
3 Installing ReactOS (v0.4.9) on REAL Hardware

This may seem a little pedantic, but there is no official 0.4.9 release yet; it will be the next one after the 0.4.8 is released.

What the 0.4.9 is, is a trunk build and they keep changing as developers commit their work, as you probably know.

So to avoid any confusion, I suggest that the quoted text should be altered to reflect that they are not the official releases.

Maybe (v0.4.9 trunk builds)

Confusingly they are call by several names:
* Nightly Builds
* latest build
* ReactOS Builds

And from the wiki
* ReactOS trunk builds

As for your videos, I think that you are doing a great job at advertising ReactOS. So well done!
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
techtalk

Post by techtalk »

oldman wrote:From your signature link, techtalk:
3 Installing ReactOS (v0.4.9) on REAL Hardware

This may seem a little pedantic, but there is no official 0.4.9 release yet; it will be the next one after the 0.4.8 is released.

What the 0.4.9 is, is a trunk build and they keep changing as developers commit their work, as you probably know.

So to avoid any confusion, I suggest that the quoted text should be altered to reflect that they are not the official releases.

Maybe (v0.4.9 trunk builds)

<snip>

As for your videos, I think that you are doing a great job at advertising ReactOS. So well done!
Great point, I updated the title of the video to avoid confusion. I did that for the 0.4.8 RC but forgot to do the same for the video I released yesterday. Thank you for pointing that out and for watching!
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

Well done again !

ahh....i love it to see run Reactos on real hardware... the destination is still far, but it IS reachable wthin 5 years !

MS is already trembling like leaves...their windows pillar begins to dissipate...

MS is already out from smartphones ecosystems...

Only Office is there last pillar....what the heck is the latest version ? Office 10 000 degree Celsius ?
techtalk

Post by techtalk »

wildschwein wrote:Well done again !

ahh....i love it to see run Reactos on real hardware... the destination is still far, but it IS reachable wthin 5 years !
Thank you :) I'm happy to have ReactOS running on this laptop! There's plenty more I want to experiment with.
techtalk

Post by techtalk »

Thinking about creating a video of various emulators running under RoS. Anyone interested?
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

techtalk wrote:Thinking about creating a video of various emulators running under RoS. Anyone interested?
I am. I recently had issues while trying vice
techtalk

Post by techtalk »

Thinking about a video to assist with Networking at this point. It seems something that most everyone may be interested in and I've found little content on. I've done some testing in this area and have some progress that may help others.

I've also tinkered with a few emulators (with some success), but thinking networking may be best for the next video installment(s). Anything specific others may be interested in? i.e. Telnet, FTP, SMB, etc. ? I'm fine with either emulators or networking, but want to make a ReactOS Video series that most everyone would fine interesting/helpful.

ReactOS videos created thus far can be found here.
techtalk

Post by techtalk »

I tried Clasic99 (TI-99/4a Emulator) and a few others. It worked in some cases, tried various options that helped a little. What emulators would others be interested in? My preference was the TI simply because that was my first computer (see video links below). But, I realize it's quite dated :)