dual boot win 10 to test rebuilds

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dros_d

dual boot win 10 to test rebuilds

Post by dros_d »

I have managed to get freeldr to dual boot reactos and windows 10 do I can compile react.
my acer aspire 5742 hangs on swenum after the install.
so recompile and install new binary to test but..
I am running out of cd's. is there any other way to install react, from window 10 for example.
can I just overwrite some of the files on my 1st partition to retest the install?
mrmajik45

Re: dual boot win 10 to test rebuilds

Post by mrmajik45 »

I mean ReactOS only runs on FAT File systems, and windows has a ntfs file system so no...
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
dros_d

Post by dros_d »

no what? I have dual boot working with win 10.
I have r/w access to the react partition.
I have pnp? issues with 2nd? stage configuration
so I recompile with changes but... rewriting to cd every time is dumb
I ought to be able to overwrite the system file changes to the driver installs( I think)
are you claiming this is not possible???
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Don't do it. Read the installation instructions. Understand the implications of what you are doing. Kiss goodbye to your data.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
ThFabba
Developer

Post by ThFabba »

If you're making smaller changes it's generally possible to just replace the changed files on disk (the path they go to is specified in the add_cd_file call in CMakeLists.txt for each module). However we don't have an "install" target that would allow you to do it automatically, and this also won't work for all changes (e.g. anything that changes registry entries wouldn't work).
There are two caveats:
* ROS has many known issues, and in particular does not handle recovery after a crash well. Due to this, it's usually best to start with a fresh install whenever you want to test something new. Long-lived ROS installations are possible, but not generally useful.
* As dizt3mp3r said, dual-booting with a production system is not recommended. There is no guarantee that ROS won't screw up your Win10 partition. For most purposes it's better to use a VM or a dedicated testing machine.