Undocumented NT APIs web legal?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rosh

Undocumented NT APIs web legal?

Post by Rosh »

I want to know if this web could be useful to ReactOS project or if it could be dangerous.
I sent email to the responsibles of the website, but they not answered me yet.
Could be the site illegal?

http://undocumented.ntinternals.net/
dizt3mp3r

Re: Undocumented NT APIs web legal?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Good and informative links from my point of view.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
bobbykennedy

Post by bobbykennedy »

i think it's already in the wiki Reference page
middings

Post by middings »

bobbykennedy wrote:i think it's already in the wiki Reference page
I don't see the web site Rosh (the OP) mentioned in the ReactOS Wiki's Reference page. Where did you find it?

edit on 2018-05-04: added quote and question for bobbykennedy
Last edited by middings on Sat May 05, 2018 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rosh

Post by Rosh »

Rosh wrote:I want to know if this web could be useful to ReactOS project or if it could be dangerous.
I sent email to the responsibles of the website, but they not answered me yet.
Could be the site illegal?

http://undocumented.ntinternals.net/
Any idea of if it is all right?
Rosh

Post by Rosh »

middings wrote:I don't see the web site Rosh (the OP) mentioned in the ReactOS Wiki's Reference page.
So it should be included if it is relevant and secure to use.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I don't see how it would go against the terms of ROS. It is just an information site about how to use the functions. Since no code from Windows is provided, there should be no copyright issues. Even if information were obtained by questionable means, if the only thing provided is API conventions, then it should be legally safe.
middings

Post by middings »

Q. Should anything I find on the web be included in the ReactOS Wiki's Reference pages if it is relevant and secure to use?

My answer is no. The ReactOS Wiki Reference pages should not become a junk pile. Only the highest quality available open documentation should be included.

For example, a web site that lists "undocumented NT APIs" should not be included if the information is already available from better written, better organized, more accurate, and more complete sources whether those sources are on the web or in published books. The book, "Windows NT/2000, Native API Reference" (ISBN 1-57870-199-6) is already included.
The "undocumented NT APIs" web site that Rosh found appears to me to be incomplete and poorly organized. Unless it documents API calls that are not in the above book, it should not be added to the ReactOS Wiki's Reference pages.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Documentation always is fine to use. That's what Clean room reversing does. Someone reverses for writing documentation and someones else uses this to write fitting code. Completely legal and used by Wine and us. But why should we add a site noone used and no new stuff is provided on?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
bobbykennedy

Post by bobbykennedy »

middings wrote:Q. Should anything I find on the web be included in the ReactOS Wiki's Reference pages if it is relevant and secure to use?

My answer is no. The ReactOS Wiki Reference pages should not become a junk pile. Only the highest quality available open documentation should be included.
tbh a lot of the books on that wiki are far from what i would describe as "highest quality."
middings wrote:For example, a web site that lists "undocumented NT APIs" should not be included if the information is already available from better written, better organized, more accurate, and more complete sources whether those sources are on the web or in published books. The book, "Windows NT/2000, Native API Reference" (ISBN 1-57870-199-6) is already included.
The "undocumented NT APIs" web site that Rosh found appears to me to be incomplete and poorly organized. Unless it documents API calls that are not in the above book, it should not be added to the ReactOS Wiki's Reference pages.
i looked through it and Windows NT/2000 Native API Reference lacks many functions that guide has, hence why i already added it weeks ago. but if you can find a better online resource or book that has already documented every single function on that online reference, feel free to remove it.
middings

Post by middings »

bobbykennedy wrote:(To be honest) tbh a lot of the books on that wiki are far from what i would describe as "highest quality."
Yes, the highest quality available documentation often disappoints.
(I) looked through it and Windows NT/2000 Native API Reference lacks many functions that guide has, hence why (I) already added it weeks ago.
Thank you for looking the guide over and judging whether it was worth adding to the ReactOS Wiki. I see it now on the Reference page at the bottom of the Operating Systems (Online) list.