ReactOS and Linux

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

markMLl

ReactOS and Linux

Post by markMLl »

Maybe it's just me, but I think that something which would be really useful would be a ReactOS HAL to allow it to run on top of User Mode Linux (UML).

For those who don't know, UML allows multiple guest kernels to run on top of a host kernel. The vast majority of apps run correctly under a guest kernel, and the guest kernel is written specially to interface to the host API so there doesn't have to be any x86-style virtualisation. Each guest can have its own IP addresses and can be made to look like a standard system to the extent that it can be used for honeypots.

I've been using UML heavily over the last couple of weeks to allow me to load experimental packages and then to back out if I didn't like the result. It works fine and I'm very pleased with what I have been able to do.

If the same could be done with a ReactOS guest it would be a boon for developers, and would also allow batches of applications to be restarted if the DLLs etc. started getting "tired" (suffering from resource leaks etc.) after extended operation.

-- Mark Morgan Lloyd
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

I have three things to say to you.

1: Xen.
2: VMWare.
3: CoLinux.
It compiles, let's ship it!
BrandonTurner
Developer

Post by BrandonTurner »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you missed the point of ROS.
Mike_PSP

Post by Mike_PSP »

BrandonTurner wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and say you missed the point of ROS.
Its ment to be a stand alone OS

not a nice little wine shell that runs wimdows apps :roll:
markMLl

Post by markMLl »

mf wrote:I have three things to say to you.

1: Xen.
2: VMWare.
3: CoLinux.
Xen is a possibility, but I was specifically looking at an interface that was part of the standard kernel (as of 2.6) or could be applied as a fairly painless patch.

VMWare is a pain since it relies on virtualisation, which is a mess on the classic x86 architecture.

coLinux is the wrong way round so isn't relevant.
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

markMLl wrote:VMWare is a pain since it relies on virtualisation, which is a mess on the classic x86 architecture.
Anytime someone brings any of the words "mess", "dirty", or "ugly hack" as an argument into a discussion about computer programming, that person loses by default.
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

Really?
Does this mean that, by using all three, you paradoxically invalidate your own post?
mf
Developer

Post by mf »

counting_pine wrote:Really?
Does this mean that, by using all three, you paradoxically invalidate your own post?
I believe you missed the part about "as an argument into a discussion". Nice try though.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Uml has its advanges but its slow compared to Xen.

Usermode running inside windows also for reactos most likely be a waste of time.

Wine is developing its own line to do this. This may win16 bit exe's something reactos does not currently have. And will be targeted at running inside a os not on real hardware.

Also Wine takes out most of the need for usermode under linux after version 1.0 Wine they are plaining for Wine to have a kernel that can run some drivers at first ie the ones required to install some games.

Ie Reactos run windows directly on hardware Wine run every where else.