GitHub Replacement Plan?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Missingno50

GitHub Replacement Plan?

Post by Missingno50 »

Call me superstitious and/or paranoid, especially since GitHub is a private company and they can do whatever they want, but with the apparent Microsoft recent acquisition of GitHub, do we have a backup incase Microsoft finally has enough of us? Worse comes to worse, there is the option of setting up emergency FTP servers.

Addendum:I said apparent for a reason. There is current mixed signals going about in the tech journalism industries so I'm not entirely sure whether GitHub was actually acquired by Microsoft or not, however the census is that Microsoft atleast has it on their table. As for dreimer|wrk, you are cold. Really freakin' cold. And the things I suggest are at least semi plausible and how I would go around taking down something I didn't like if I owned GitHub and there was a near functionally identical(even if it is a W.I.P.) clone of one of my most successful products ever on there.
Last edited by Missingno50 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."
Proud owner of one semi-modern ROS compatible computer. I hope to make an industry out of selling ROS compatibles the moment 0.5.0 releases.
Rosh

Re: GitHub Replacement Plan?

Post by Rosh »

I agree with you, this news make me worried about.

There is GitLab that is better , and using SVN again only for backup purposes.
Uploading ReactOS source code in 3 different services or more, not depending
just only in 1 provider.

We could also help downloading ReactOS source code to have it just in case.
We should have as much copies as all posible members in the community has
in order to decrease the posibility of loosing all work made in case of something happen. :!:
cernodile

Post by cernodile »

Good news is that there is a git mirror automatically managed at git.reactos.org!
Moving to another service is a big step for ReactOS team, it will take some time to migrate. If the rumours and reports turn out true, then it's go time.

EDIT: I'm aware chances of ReactOS getting down is slim to none, but thoughts above is thinking ahead.
Last edited by cernodile on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My working rigs:
Dell Latitude E5430 on 0.4.9-vgal - i5-3340M, USB boot.
Partially working rigs:
Ryzen 7 3700X on B450 board - 0.4.14 boot via preinstall. USB broken.
[ external image ]
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

This is no tarot game where you see two cards and "see" the whole future. No, there is no plan for such a futurity, as there is no plan for Asia being taken over by radioactive hypnotoads either. (And this one is more likely) Could we please stop this useless panicmongering and pass on to useful topics?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Missingno50

Post by Missingno50 »

EmuandCo wrote:This is no tarot game where you see two cards and "see" the whole future. No, there is no plan for such a futurity, as there is no plan for Asia being taken over by radioactive hypnotoads either. (And this one is more likely) Could we please stop this useless panicmongering and pass on to useful topics?
You make emergency plans for this reason. However, I respect your opinion and I now that I look at the facts a little closer, I'm ashamed of acting like those news stations with their "global warming epidemic."
Proud owner of one semi-modern ROS compatible computer. I hope to make an industry out of selling ROS compatibles the moment 0.5.0 releases.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

A contigency plan is definitely needed. What if Microsoft secretly steals ReactOS code and ships with Windows?
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
Missingno50

Post by Missingno50 »

erkinalp wrote:A contigency plan is definitely needed. What if Microsoft secretly steals ReactOS code and ships with Windows?
I'd think it'd be more likely that they inject code directly from their old source code from other NT versions to replace existing code and then sue us for adding it. Or MS could have enough of competition and shut down our project entirely for not following their terms and agreements. Those two are the most likely issues that will arise from MS buying out GH, at least, directly affecting us and noone else.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Missingno50 wrote:do we have a backup
https://git.reactos.org/

/thread
Missingno50

Post by Missingno50 »

binarymaster wrote:
Missingno50 wrote:do we have a backup
https://git.reactos.org/

/thread
Ahem. Yes. Thank you I suppose.

Again see above, at this point I was just trying to clear my name of being called a bold faced liar in IRC.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I've been worried about the radioactive hypnotoads for a while now.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Fraizeraust

Post by Fraizeraust »

I was mild surprised by the fact that Microsoft acquired GitHub. But, frankly speaking, I really don't care.

To people worrying about this scenario, keep in mind it took for ReactOS Team considerable time and effort to migrate the project from SVN to GitHub. Moving to another storage repository is, in my humble opinion, very stupid.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
bobbykennedy

Post by bobbykennedy »

github is only one of our mirrors, so don't worry about it

the fears are justified (contrary to some of the naive comments above), but the potential issue is already technically counteracted, and it's part of the design of git to deter larger open source projects from being locked into just one server or hosting service
Rosh

Post by Rosh »

bobbykennedy wrote:github is only one of our mirrors
So I assume that ReactOS source code with latest changes is always uploaded in Sourceforge.net and (for backup purposes) in SVN.
Versions 0.4.8 and soon version 0.4.9 source code should be upload in SVN and in Sourceforge.
Which other mirrors?
Are them updated?
Last edited by Rosh on Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rosh

Post by Rosh »

Fraizeraust wrote: keep in mind it took for ReactOS Team considerable time and effort to migrate the project from SVN to GitHub.
In what could GitLab be different of Github?
A test is required or at least upload ReactOS source code in GitLab too.
Rosh

Post by Rosh »

Searching I found 2 GitLab repositories with ReactOS source code:

https://gitlab.com/dj-tech/reactos

https://gitlab.com/kprkpr/ReactOS-CI

But the code is outdated. It must be updated usually.

And a guide to understand the difference between GitLab and Github:
https://usersnap.com/blog/gitlab-github/

It seems that GitLab has more advanced features than Github.
Last edited by Rosh on Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.