Will btrfs be available immediately after GSOC?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dark

Will btrfs be available immediately after GSOC?

Post by dark »

Will I be able to install ROS to BTRFS right after GSOC, or will this be something that takes a few months after the project is completed to be merged?
binarymaster

Re: Will btrfs be available immediately after GSOC?

Post by binarymaster »

Once this feature would be available, you'll see an option in the ReactOS Setup to format the disk using BTRFS filesystem (along with FAT32).
dark

Post by dark »

binarymaster wrote:Once this feature would be available, you'll see an option in the ReactOS Setup to format the disk using BTRFS filesystem (along with FAT32).
That does not answer the question at all. It's just stating the obvious.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

dark wrote:
binarymaster wrote:Once this feature would be available, you'll see an option in the ReactOS Setup to format the disk using BTRFS filesystem (along with FAT32).
That does not answer the question at all. It's just stating the obvious.
Here is your answer: There is no straight forward answer to this. If he finishes everything he was assigned to before GSOC ends, then probably. If not, then it has to be delayed until someone can finish it. I doubt it will be "immediately after GSOC" regardless, as it has to be tested some first by the rest of the developer team.
middings

Post by middings »

This topic's original poster (OP) is asking for a promised completion date. Development team member Z98 has stated the ReactOS project's policy about this, "We... do not give estimates for completion for anything."

Raymond Chen's article "Once you announce a date, you're already late" in his blog The Old New Thing illustrates some of the risks of publicly estimating a completion date.

"If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans."--Spanish proverb
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

middings wrote:This topic's original poster (OP) is asking for a promised completion date. Development team member Z98 has stated the ReactOS project's policy about this, "We... do not give estimates for completion for anything."

Raymond Chen's article "Once you announce a date, you're already late" in his blog The Old New Thing illustrates some of the risks of publicly estimating a completion date.

"If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him your plans."--Spanish proverb
i do not think that is what the op is asking to me it looks like the op is asking for a general time scale and not a promised completion date
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

No time scales and no completion dates, are all questions answered now?!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

The short answer is likely not. A month or 2 might be reasonable, depending on the workload of the developers. As mentioned before, it needs to be checked before integration, assuming it is complete enough to warrant even that. And of course, the final word of the developers is that we don't give out estimates and completion dates.

Do note that BTRFS is not a part of Windows, and the team has no obligation to include it at all. The reason it is being considered has to do with trying to better research how Windows handles file systems. So if this will be added, it should be considered a bonus.
middings

Post by middings »

PurpleGurl wrote:A month or 2 might be reasonable, depending on the workload of the developers.
No, no. I fear you are suggesting a completion date, Purple Gurl, and for somebody else's work.

Check out Raymond Chen's story about "Once you announce a date, you're already late" that I linked to in an earlier post here. See a Microsoft executive say something "reasonable" then watch what happens next. (You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll be tempted to spit on your hands and hoist the black flag...)
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I said it was reasonable, based on precedent here, not suggesting anything, and making accusations or calling out people by username is not being civil (rule 1). Please read my entire post and take it ALL together as a single statement as intended. Let's just see what transpires after GSOC.

Furthermore, the OP's question implied the timespan with the assumption the driver integration was complete. So I answered with that assumption in play, and thus my timespan was for the ReactOS team to integrate fully completed code. Thus Middings' concerns would have been valid if the code were not complete, as the GSOC coder and/or other devs would have to complete it, and that could add loosely up to 2 years. But fully able to be integrated, without bugs or any breakages elsewhere, 1-2 months is reasonable.

Posting what is "reasonable" is not the same as "speculating."
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
middings

Post by middings »

I just wish the first responder to the OP had put on his fashionable Edna Mode hat and replied, "No dates!"
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

UPDATE! :D
Victor's work on BTRFS boot has just been merged into master! Enjoy!