Anybody tried ReactOS on Thinkpads?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

francisgomes

Anybody tried ReactOS on Thinkpads?

Post by francisgomes »

I got the latest version (0.4.8) working pretty well on my A31, including the Windows video driver for its ATI Radeon 7500.

ReactOS a very impressive project, but don't go into this thinking that you're going to have a production-ready machine by the end of it. It's still very finicky (setting the wrong screen resolution/color depth can prevent your system from booting and require re-install), incomplete (some Control Panel applets appear to be complete, but have functions entirely unimplemented), and bug-ridden (windows sometimes get repainted out of order, creating strange artifacts on the screen). Even on real hardware, it's pretty slow, since the developers haven't quite gotten all the speed-enhancing tweaks that MS took decades to figure out. It really makes you appreciate what goes into the software that we rely on every day.

I'm confident it'll get there eventually, but at a much slower pace than any established OS, unless there is a sudden surge of developers stepping in and helping.
middings

Re: Anybody tried ReactOS on Thinkpads?

Post by middings »

Thank you for trying ReactOS on your Thinkpad and sharing your results with us.

Yes, some other people have tried ReactOS on Thinkpads. Try searching for "Thinkpad" with the ReactOS forum's search feature. Its input field is on the upper right corner of this web page.