Your most wanted feature for the 2019 Hackfest?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cb88

Re: My most wanted feature for Hackfest

Post by cb88 »

Missingno50 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:36 am The nearest frys is a couple of hundred miles away from me AFAIK. On top of that, I get taxed for each package to my house by my landlord, and its not cheap. The tax is there to encourage me to go to a store but still.
Edit:100$ may be an exaggeration but tacking on 40$ is not according to my landlord.
That's just obscene... anyway you could also just have it shipped to a local UPS or Amazon locker depending on where you buy it from.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

cb88 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:11 am
Missingno50 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:36 am The nearest frys is a couple of hundred miles away from me AFAIK. On top of that, I get taxed for each package to my house by my landlord, and its not cheap. The tax is there to encourage me to go to a store but still.
Edit:100$ may be an exaggeration but tacking on 40$ is not according to my landlord.
That's just obscene... anyway you could also just have it shipped to a local UPS or Amazon locker depending on where you buy it from.
Now doing post-necromancy?
Missingno50

Post by Missingno50 »

hbelusca wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:21 pm Now doing post-necromancy?
Uh... No, the last post besides this one was yesterday... If anything, I committed post necromancy because I didn't notice how long ago it was. Plus I felt the thread was kinda important, but uh... I see the developers disagree.
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."
Proud owner of one semi-modern ROS compatible computer. I hope to make an industry out of selling ROS compatibles the moment 0.5.0 releases.
karlexceed

Re: Your most wanted feature for the next Hackfest?

Post by karlexceed »

Missingno50 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:06 am I see the developers disagree.
I'm guessing that this was a mistake. Seeing as this thread is 4 pages, with the first post being not even 3 weeks old.
Missingno50

Post by Missingno50 »

karlexceed wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:08 pm
I'm guessing that this was a mistake. Seeing as this thread is 4 pages, with the first post being not even 3 weeks old.
I'd love to reply but I do not know how to respond to that.
cb88 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:11 am That's just obscene... anyway you could also just have it shipped to a local UPS or Amazon locker depending on where you buy it from.
Well, we would've, but most of these packages are oversized so... Yeah, not really sure how that'll work out.
PurpleGurl wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:21 pm ...and the hijacking rule.
Yeah, this thread has been hijacked. Can we PLEASE return to the original intent and figure out more things we want for Hackfest but want to make sure are actually pretty doable first? And for the love of god, I'm not the only guy in existence supposed to be doing counter replies, some other people should provide counters! Preferably devs since I actually barely know a thing.
Proud owner of one semi-modern ROS compatible computer. I hope to make an industry out of selling ROS compatibles the moment 0.5.0 releases.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

this is probably a dumb idea and may not work but what about debug output using audio something like the way old 8bit micro computer used cassette tape for loading software
mrmajik45

Post by mrmajik45 »

Do you mean my commodore boys?
ReactOS Donator ~ $5.00 | Linux Mint Donator ~ $1.00 in BTC
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Missingno50 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:24 pm
karlexceed wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:08 pm
I'd love to reply but I do not know how to respond to that.
"this was a mistake" WHERE "this" = hbelusca's post about thread necromancy
anthracen

Post by anthracen »

this thread has turned into something looking like a stoners conversation. :lol:
Missingno50

Post by Missingno50 »

Missingno50 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:24 pm
PurpleGurl wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:21 pm ...and the hijacking rule.
Yeah, this thread has been hijacked. Can we PLEASE return to the original intent and figure out more things we want for Hackfest but want to make sure are actually pretty doable first? And for the love of god, I'm not the only guy in existence supposed to be doing counter replies, some other people should provide counters! Preferably devs since I actually barely know a thing.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

You know that the hackfest is over, do ya?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yeah, he meant next year's.
Missingno50

Post by Missingno50 »

EmuandCo wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:48 am You know that the hackfest is over, do ya?
If you will kindly look into the title, you'll clearly see that it now says "Your most wanted feature for the next Hackfest." This is for the next hackfest, as Purple has said. Thank you for at least trying to clear up the situation.
Also...
  • HybridCDs to replace BootCD and LiveCD downloads.
    Rationale: We have the means, and it has been done before(vgalros.000webhost.com). So, I ask one very simple question. Why are we still downloading BootCD and LiveCD separately? Having them as a hybrid would not only be more convenient but also make much more sense in an era of 720 MB CDs and 10 Mb/S internet speeds.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Missingno50 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:04 pm Also...
  • HybridCDs to replace BootCD and LiveCD downloads.
    Rationale: We have the means, and it has been done before(vgalros.000webhost.com). So, I ask one very simple question. Why are we still downloading BootCD and LiveCD separately? Having them as a hybrid would not only be more convenient but also make much more sense in an era of 720 MB CDs and 10 Mb/S internet speeds.
https://github.com/HBelusca/reactos/com ... fa8ef052c5

Just that the branch needs to be properly merged into current master (WIP).
middings

Post by middings »

Missingno50 wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:04 pm...the title ... now says "Your most wanted feature for the next Hackfest."
Using "2019 Hackfest" instead of "next Hackfest" would have avoided the confusion. I expect that after the 2019 Hackfest, maybe years after this thread is long dead, some necroposter will start speaking to this thread about "the next Hackfest". A similar potential confusion is created when developers and the community spoke of "the new Explorer". If there is another major revision of the ReactOS Explorer, will it also be called "the new Explorer"? If so, what happens when someone--perhaps a newbie--searches the ReactOS web site for information about "the new Explorer" and gets results for the old new Explorer and the new new Explorer?

“Let us stand on each other’s shoulders, not each other’s toes.” – Dennis Allison, early 1970s personal computing pioneer
Last edited by middings on Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.