New Greentea OS kernel design apply to ReactOS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Quim

New Greentea OS kernel design apply to ReactOS?

Post by Quim »

Extract chat about Greentea kernel design:

[quote]
Strict distinction between wine components and kernel, so we could make a not-NT simple STABLE ON HARDWARE kernel and incrementally add NT features then

Imagine similar to Linux: all-in-one (with device drivers) kernel, stand alone user-space as in wine, but with potential to support NT drivers in future

This allows us to backport most linux drivers as-is and keep everything in "just works" state, instead of never-ending endevaour of reactos to support only NT (buggy and incomplete)

Currently investigating simulation of Greentea userspace atop of Windows... Basically like "Wine on Windows". To see what kernel subset is critical to apps. Maybe to be released as stand alone project too.
[/quote]
cernodile

Re: New Greentea OS kernel design apply to ReactOS?

Post by cernodile »

ReactOS is not in any way affiliated with GreenteaOS, they've simply branched and tried to hide most traces of it being forked. Any changes they make are their own choice, and we don't have to replicate that.
My working rigs:
Dell Latitude E5430 on 0.4.9-vgal - i5-3340M, USB boot.
Partially working rigs:
Ryzen 7 3700X on B450 board - 0.4.14 boot via preinstall. USB broken.
[ external image ]
Missingno50

Post by Missingno50 »

A)Nice use of syntax.
B)See what Cern said. I believe Fraizer was the first to discover GTOS in the Discord. I've investigated GTOS myself and I can't get it to work, so we can just rule GTOS as a non-viable fork at that. Even if we DID want to port that functionality into ReactOS, it may just not be possible to do so.
C)If I'm correct, GTOS is breaking laws by stealing the code and not giving credit.

Sidenote:Despite how much I dislike GTOS, I do like the theme and backgrounds that comes with it. Greentea may be dirty but it does do a good effort hiding its tracks(edit:I guess I should note that changing the locale breaks that work very quickly) and making itself look way more complete than it really is.
[ external image ]
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."
Proud owner of one semi-modern ROS compatible computer. I hope to make an industry out of selling ROS compatibles the moment 0.5.0 releases.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

This "fork" is completely ignored by our devs, even the spartanic theme some ppl seem to like. Any of their decision is not our b33r and never will be. The idea to remove NT architecture just to be more stable and hardware supportive and then put the stuff back is... BULLSH*T and waste of precious coding time. Nope, will NOT be done that way. There are enough Windows alike Linuxes out there and we do not need another one!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
cb88

Post by cb88 »

Missingno50 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:09 am C)If I'm correct, GTOS is breaking laws by stealing the code and not giving credit.
Any fork would have to remove ReactOS trademarked stuff... ReactOS is GPL and so is GTOS, therefore they haven't stolen anything it's just a fork nobody on the reactos team cares about. While they are missing some credits, if you look at the files in their projects each individual file still retains attributions as they should.

There is a fork or two of Haiku IIRC like this... on several occasions either someone had a difference of opinion or wasn't a team player so went off to do their own thing, this is completely fine and often the best thing in the end as that person mostly goes away and quits distracting developers with arguments. If they come up with something neat more power to them, but they do so mostly without any help from the originating project. Especially if the parting was not amicable.
middings

Post by middings »

Quim wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:04 am Extract chat about Greentea kernel design:

[quote] ...
Quim, you failed to cite the source of the text you quoted. Where did you find it?

Also, why are you so interested in the Greentea OS fork of ReactOS?
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

The plans / roadmaps in the Greentea Github repo are basically a laundry list of cool ideas and half thought-out plans. Nothing actually gets done; it seems they gave up after half implementing their Lautaus theme redesign. It's pretty obvious that it's some young folks trying to make a name for themselves by promising the world to anyone who'll listen.

Not worth wasting time thinking about until they show they're capable of something worthwhile. Let me see them fix something and merge upstream. Hell, maybe even if they kept their ROS code up to date and merged PRs that aren't in ROS main yet I might be more interested.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

I don't understand the goal of this ?
If you like GreenTea OS, use it.
Why ReactOS should implement this kind of thing, when you know this project doesn't have the same target and doesn't follow the rules of the licence ?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

This question and many of his posts on Jira (Modern Theme for example) make me LOCK this topic!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...