Aspects of Vista/7/8/10 (and sometimes 5.2) that should NOT be ported to React

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

shunesburg

Re: Aspects of Vista/7/8/10 that should NOT be ported to React

Post by shunesburg »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:01 am NT6 compatibility is inevitable and a desire toward compatibility is good. It might however result in ReactOS adopting NT6 style functionality in other areas[...]
But it will be good to support drivers from NT6 too, to improve the hardware compatibility and fix some problem with NT6 softwares.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Obviously!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

wdstudios wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:59 pm In NT 5.x, MJPEGs and animated GIFs would animate correctly when set as wallpaper or viewed in Windows Photo Viewer. In NT 6.x, they did not.
windows Photo Viewer is good enough to do the job but there are better image viewers
wdstudios wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:59 pm In NT 5.x, users could download files directly to c:\. In NT 6.x, this is not authorized, even for administrators, and a specific directory must be chosen for downloads.
that is more of a edge case scenario
wdstudios wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:59 pm In NT 5.x, users could edit the contents of the "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" directories. In NT 6.x, this is not authorized, even for administrators, which is a huge pain in the ass when developing game mods, or really just for anyone who wants to be treated like an adult and like the owner of their own f**king computer.
you are partially wrong you can edit content of folders in "Program Files" & "Program Files (x86)" you need to take ownership of the program folder there is a tweak to add take ownership to the right click but if i know that i am going to add mods to a game then i create a folder on the root of my c: and name it games and any games that i install to that folder inherit the permissions so i can edit the game files
dizt3mp3r wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:47 pm I have had instances when the discover will not complete at all and after an hour or so of discovering zero files have actually been copied
i have never had this issue but most of the time i use teracopy when copying/moving files

imho the Vista + searches is garbage

windows 8
ribbon bar in windows explorer file manager and WordPad and Paint

the start screen
right click Jump lists

forcing user to use the settings metro app / the settings metro app

metro apps

there are a lot more Aspects of windows 10 that should NOT be ported to React that bug me
Missingno50

Post by Missingno50 »

MadWolf wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:19 pm metro apps

there are a lot more Aspects of windows 10 that should NOT be ported to React that bug me
Well call me stupid but I liked the metro apps idea. Compatibility would be cool, just... don't implement the actual metro crap and just only have metro compatibility.
Also, I liked Windows 10's multi-desktop system... but that's just me.
"We are going to have to act, if we want to live in a different world."
Proud owner of one semi-modern ROS compatible computer. I hope to make an industry out of selling ROS compatibles the moment 0.5.0 releases.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Missingno50 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:59 pm Also, I liked Windows 10's multi-desktop system... but that's just me.
Interesting trivia: Earlier versions of ROS did have multiple desktops.
wdstudios

Post by wdstudios »

MadWolf wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:19 pm
wdstudios wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:59 pm In NT 5.x, users could edit the contents of the "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)" directories. In NT 6.x, this is not authorized, even for administrators, which is a huge pain in the ass when developing game mods, or really just for anyone who wants to be treated like an adult and like the owner of their own f**king computer.
you are partially wrong you can edit content of folders in "Program Files" & "Program Files (x86)" you need to take ownership of the program folder
That's how it was theoretically pretend supposed to work. In reality, it didn't work.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

karlexceed wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:33 pm trivia: Earlier versions of ROS did have multiple desktops.
Yes, until Gigaherz made the new explorer work. I remember those days.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Gigaherz
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Gigaherz is at least a thousand times better coder than megaherz.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Hidden APIs known only to Microsoft - that sort of feature will NEVER be ported to ReactOS - obviously, I am assuming that in the process of coding and reverse engineering Windows the devs could actually discover some of these? Could this have happened already?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

There are many APIs MS does not make public and does not recommend to tinker with. And we already have many of these. Same goes for Wine btw. We HAVE to add these to be able to run any WIndows app out there.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Thankyou for that. I understand that we port them as we find them but in the process they then become public and not hidden I assume? So, what I am saying is, we have no hidden APIs...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes, you have a point. If we find them or they are revealed to us, then they are not "hidden." Plus our documentation is more likely to be accurate, and it probably isn't best for me to fully elaborate why that is the case here. I will just say that the court ordered that the APIs be documented publicly, but did not stipulate who was to prepare it or how accurate it had to be.

Now more to the topic, if we change targets, then there are things we'd have to port, even if we don't like them. Those would be changes related to graphics and sound. Hardware sound acceleration would likely not be usable, and getting a compositing engine (DWM) would likely be necessary.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

PurpleGurl wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:11 pm Now more to the topic, if we change targets, then there are things we'd have to port, even if we don't like them. Those would be changes related to graphics and sound. Hardware sound acceleration would likely not be usable, and getting a compositing engine (DWM) would likely be necessary.
I don't know about a compositing engine being required, in windows the DWM can be stopped and the gui still works just no transparent effects are available. That being said i'm sure most users would want a compositing engine if ReactOS ever gets NT6+ driver compatibility