Aspects of Vista/7/8/10 (and sometimes 5.2) that should NOT be ported to React

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

swight

Re: Aspects of Vista/7/8/10 that should NOT be ported to React

Post by swight »

One of the super annoying things to me about current windows operating systems(that doesn't apply to reactos yet) is automatic update settings being changed automatically or ignored without user interaction. If I tell my system do not check for updates I don't want to see a prompt several hours later saying the system needs to shutdown to install the updates I told it not to do.It also means the system has been downloading who knows what from the internet without permission. Not like windows tells you what updates it installed without permission and needs to reboot for.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

That is not a compatibility issue. That is purely a consequence of Windows license agreement, which you agreed to if you use Windows.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Compatibility issue or not, of course it is an important issue that has simply been covered by some legal jargon to allow them to get away with it. A Precise reason for ReactOS not to do it.

It is MOST annoying. One of the aspects that can be overlooked is that some systems run with a single drive that can be filled almost to capacity and that having a rogue process that downloads large amounts of system and program data without confirming that it has done so can fill a hard drive at unexpected moments and bring the system to its knees. Windows does not like running with a full hard drive.

If you have worked on fault tolerant/military systems you will know that it isn't just a matter of swapping out the old hard drive and replacing with a larger unit, sometimes you have constraints set upon you that cannot be changed. In this case the o/s is working against you as you have no control of what it places on the disc.

I know this isn't a general Windows 10 fix-it thread but killing the Windows medic service (not easy) prevents windows update from re-enabling the service when you have disabled it. Soon there will be a windows doctor service that checks the Windows medic service that checks the Windows update service et cetera.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

And Windows nurse-loop which resets Windows doctor service if you tinker with it :D
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
Quim

Post by Quim »

This could be another questionable feature to work on it: Windows 10 BSOD.
https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-15474
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Hopefully there will be no smilies on BSODs, no smiling paperclips not wagging dogs arses on ReactOS as it is an o/s for adults, having said that my parents actually liked the animated dog...
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Janus

Post by Janus »

Speaking as a long time computer user, the number one thing I do not want to see ported to ReactOS from MS, is attitude.
They made their initial money in destroying IBM's captive vertically integrated effective monopoly.
They aided personal computers going from text terminals slaved to mainframes, to stand alone graphics workstations.

Win9x was a real breakthrough.
Win2k left their dos roots behind, putting mainframe styled thinking on every system.
With XP, they reached their peak, and maybe just a toe beyond it.

Through dos and Win9x, the hardware was yours and accessible.
Win2K formalized things, gave it structure, brought sanity.
XP gave that structure form and function.

Some people view the structure of XP as a barrier, but I disagree, they just finished writing the dance.
Vista was their first step in putting barriers between the user, and hardware.
In XP they said here is a solid foundation, and here is how to expand it.
With vista, they said here is what we think you need, and removed of the rest along with most of the expandibility.
Hand holding basically, which I find insulting.

With 7, many barriers were implaced, all designed to create a mental break between the OS, and the hardware.
This was not an OS designed for home use.
For the first time, MS made a mass market OS designed for business mainly.

W8/8.1 is not a desktop OS, it is made for tablets, I believe it is MS saying the desktop is dead.
W10 is not an OS.
I will repeat that, W10 is not an OS.
W10 is a graphic terminal to your MS cloud account.

With W10, MS is no longer pretending it thinks you own your own computer.
The whole trusted installer thing could be explained from a security stand point, except that core components expect its presence.
This shows how MS is thinking, were trusted installer an admin, I could believe it was for security.
However, I believe it is about control.

This is what needs to be not be brought over, that attitude.
People always own their computers, their own data, their own files.
MS no longer believes that, if it ever really did.

They destroyed IBM by destroying the mainframe business model.
Now they are replacing mainframe with cloud, and text terminal, with graphics terminal.
There is a place for the ability to sign in to your profile from anywhere.
In business, it makes perfect sense.
Yet who in their right mind would want a log kept of every program they run, all their local activities, everything in their entire user profile, backed up in the cloud.
You no longer have control of what is installed, when it is installed, your files, your data.

This is the most important thing to leave behind.
The idea, the concept, the thinking, that a person who buys a computer, or anything else, doesn't actually own it.
I have some other ideas, but this needed to be said first.

Janus.
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

Quim wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:01 am From https://www.tecnogaming.com/2017/01/ins ... e-moderno/ there are other things that complain about Windows Vista/7/8/10 end of support of some good things in Windows XP, that ReactOS should not also discontinued like Windows Vista + :

From Google Translate:
Why would you want to use Windows XP
The reasons for using Windows XP are many, then I mention ours:

snip

What we currently have as Force Feedback is just the rumble effect that we saw in the gamepads of Xbox360, Ps4 and Xbox One, it is merely a vibration that no longer represents what we could get with the gameport. Unfortunately there is no way to emulate it, for several reasons: we no longer have the MIDI interface included in USB devices and there is no way to transmit that information to the logic of one of these old joysticks, that's why all adapters from Gameport to USB automatically Override the Force Feedback functionality.

snip
While it is true that newer Windows versions no longer support the Game Port it is not true that USB devices can not support the same force feedback capabilities that those old MIDI/Game Port driven joysticks provided. On the contrary: the specification for Human Interface Devices (HID) contains an extensive specification for force feedback and in contrast to the MIDI one it is standardized, that means a single driver supporting that is enough for every joystick instead of requiring a separate driver for each.
That this is indeed sufficient is shown by projects like adapt-ffb-joy which provides the necessary code for an Arduino based Game Port to USB adapter that supports the above mentioned Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro including its force feedback as a standard HID device without any special driver.

I don't know what the author of that tecnogaming article meant regarding directional force feedback, but I can imagine either the hardware manufacturers prefering simpler force feedback motors that are less "intense", "precise", whatever or that game developers simply use simpler feedback that doesn't feel "directional". Or maybe its a combination of these two...

TL;DR: USB HID would be up to the task, the real problems are elsewhere
Free Pascal compiler developer
wdstudios

Post by wdstudios »

This thread was created mainly to list ways in which Windows Vista/7/8/10 were worse than XP, or at least worse than 32-bit XP. I think some of the changes that other users have mentioned were made at other points in time. In particular, a few have been explicitly stated to be Win10 "features" that did not exist in 8.1 and earlier.
Sand

Post by Sand »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:36 pm XP's taskbar was resizable vertically by hand, ie. you could drag the top of the taskbar and shrink it in size so it was a mere sliver or expand it back up again. This was quite a useful function when you had the taskbar placed at the top of the screen (strangely, normal for some) and you found one of your windows titlebars had been placed accidentally beneath it. You could resize the taskbar manually and gain access to the title bar beneath. In Vista + the taskbar was clearly 'improved' to remove this feature. Later taskbars cannot be manually resized.
I can resize the taskbar in Win8.1 the same way as in XP
wdstudios

Post by wdstudios »

Sand wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 9:28 am
dizt3mp3r wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:36 pm XP's taskbar was resizable vertically by hand, ie. you could drag the top of the taskbar and shrink it in size so it was a mere sliver or expand it back up again. This was quite a useful function when you had the taskbar placed at the top of the screen (strangely, normal for some) and you found one of your windows titlebars had been placed accidentally beneath it. You could resize the taskbar manually and gain access to the title bar beneath. In Vista + the taskbar was clearly 'improved' to remove this feature. Later taskbars cannot be manually resized.
I can resize the taskbar in Win8.1 the same way as in XP
But not to a barely-visible sliver
wdstudios

Re: Aspects of Vista/7/8/10 (and sometimes 5.2) that should NOT be ported to React

Post by wdstudios »

Found another one:

I just found an old, 16-color bitmap (!) that was used as one of the original Windows 3.1 wallpapers, and set it as my wallpaper in Windows 7. I immediately noticed that the wallpaper showed subtle JPEG compression noise that was absent from the original file. Digging on the Internet revealed that, starting in Vista, Windows will no longer use chosen images directly as wallpapers, but will instead compress them to "TranscodedWallpaper.jpeg", store the compressed version in Appdata\Microsoft\Windows\Themes, and use THAT as your wallpaper.

Working around this is a pain in the ass. XP way is superior.
Quim

Post by Quim »

Janus wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:22 pm W10 is not an OS.
I will repeat that, W10 is not an OS.
W10 is a graphic terminal to your MS cloud account.

With W10, MS is no longer pretending it thinks you own your own computer.
The whole trusted installer thing could be explained from a security stand point, except that core components expect its presence.
This shows how MS is thinking, were trusted installer an admin, I could believe it was for security.
However, I believe it is about control.

This is what needs to be not be brought over, that attitude.
People always own their computers, their own data, their own files.
MS no longer believes that, if it ever really did.

They destroyed IBM by destroying the mainframe business model.
Now they are replacing mainframe with cloud, and text terminal, with graphics terminal.
There is a place for the ability to sign in to your profile from anywhere.
In business, it makes perfect sense.
Yet who in their right mind would want a log kept of every program they run, all their local activities, everything in their entire user profile, backed up in the cloud.
You no longer have control of what is installed, when it is installed, your files, your data.

This is the most important thing to leave behind.
The idea, the concept, the thinking, that a person who buys a computer, or anything else, doesn't actually own it.
I have some other ideas, but this needed to be said first.

Janus.
ReactOS is the only Windows-like OS designed for real freedom in PCs and Servers.

Now it is so obvious how Windows 10 is a cloud-based control OS:
https://www.howtogeek.com/442609/confir ... -creation/