Anyone interested in running ReactOS on a Synology (NAS)?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

techtalk

Anyone interested in running ReactOS on a Synology (NAS)?

Post by techtalk »

Hi,

I was able to get ReactOS installed on a Synology DS918+ this evening (NAS /Home Media Server, whatever you want to call it - dedicated box that does stuff). I'm considering making a video of the procedure if anyone is interested? There were a number of not so obvious steps to get it running on the network, using the Synology Guest Disk (like VB Guest Additions) won't run. But found a work-around for that which does work.

Some advantages that I can think of:
  • Run as-needed without slowing down your primary computer or utilizing local disk space
  • You can easily create a large library of ReactOS VMs of various versions and swap easily (or run concurrently depending on core allocation)
  • VMs can easily be stopped/started on-demand for release/debug builds
  • Library of ISOs (ReactOS builds) can be kept on the server without the need to transfer locally/re-download to build with VB/VMWare
So it would include full networking support within the VMM (Virtual Machine Manager, Synologies equivalent to Virtual Box or VMWare). This would compliment my additional ReactOS videos (see signature below - if interested) but I'm not sure how many people use/have/plan to have one of these. Let me know (below) if you think this video would be useful/helpful.

Best Regards,

Jon
Last edited by techtalk on Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.
dizt3mp3r

Re: ReactOS running on a Synology DS918+ (NAS)

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Definitely!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
binarymaster

Re: Are you interested in running ReactOS on a Synology (NAS)?

Post by binarymaster »

techtalk wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:32 am I was able to get ReactOS installed on a Synology DS918+ this evening (NAS /Home Media Server, whatever you want to call it - dedicated box that does stuff). I'm considering making a video of the procedure if anyone is interested?
Oh wow, please make a video! :shock:

Always wanted to see ReactOS working on some devices like that one.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

binarymaster wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:55 pm Always wanted to see ReactOS working on some devices like that one.
My understanding is that Synology's VMM is based on QEMU. I'm not saying this isn't interesting, but it's really no different than running it in any other hosted/type-2 hypervisor.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

karlexceed wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:30 pm My understanding is that Synology's VMM is based on QEMU. I'm not saying this isn't interesting, but it's really no different than running it in any other hosted/type-2 hypervisor.
Ohh... I thought it can run ReactOS on bare metal. :roll:
techtalk

Re: Anyone interested in running ReactOS on a Synology (NAS)?

Post by techtalk »

Two are interested (thank you for your replies), going to create the video.
Last edited by techtalk on Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

There are always many that might be interested, the majority will never respond. Assume a ratio!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
techtalk

Post by techtalk »

This video is now available for viewing! In this video I will show you how to install ReactOS on a Synology NAS running Virtual Machine Manager (VMM). It will step you through downloading ReactOS, setting up VMM, Installing ReactOS, acquiring/installing the e1000 Network Drivers and demonstrate installing applications from the ReactOS Application Manager (Firefox) over the internet

Link to the YouTube Video (additional ReactOS videos can be found in my signature below):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr-WpPOlYHY
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Informative and interesting.
techtalk

Post by techtalk »

Thank you, very glad you enjoyed this video!