ReactOS from VM convert to Bootable USB flash drive

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AivisLV

ReactOS from VM convert to Bootable USB flash drive

Post by AivisLV »

I tried new version in virtual box. It ran smoothly. Without any problem. Then i used USB flash drive to start it. Instal media and live too. With install it ran ok, but after (loading boot drivers) it just showed black screen and i was disapointed. Then liveCD. It ran but stopped responding on some driver error it was USB devies driver. I removed all USB devices but USB flash with OS stayed there. Annnd Blue screen after that. Disapointment.

I want to ask a question. Can i use Virtualbox to make an install and then convert it to IMG(or use RAW vm image) and install it on USB flash. TL;DR i want to convert VM image to usb flash drive. Could it work? If not then why?

My specs if it matters
Dual core i5 6200U(hyperthreaded) 2,4GHz
4GB ram
1Tb seagate HDD
Intel integrated 520 Graphics
nvidia 940MX GPU(Optimus)
binarymaster

Re: ReactOS from VM convert to Bootable USB flash drive

Post by binarymaster »

AivisLV wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:54 pm TL;DR i want to convert VM image to usb flash drive. Could it work? If not then why?
In most cases it wouldn't work, since ReactOS USB drivers are outdated and does not support USB boot.

But you can write a raw image into non-USB hard disk and boot from it.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

AivisLV wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:54 pm [...] and i was disapointed. [...] Disapointment. [...] Could it work? If not then why?
With this kind of comments I see that you don't read before download. ReactOS is in development, it's not ready currently to use for real life, only for tests.
But I think it will be better if in the Website mention more clearly that is an ALPHA release.
middings

Post by middings »

shunesburg wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:25 pm...I think it will be better if in the Website mention more clearly that is an ALPHA release.
I agree. The words "we're just Alpha" appear near the top of the ReactOS.org home page (front page), to the left of the "Download it!" button. Unfortunately, those words are in parentheses and are hard to notice among the crowded graphics, text, and glitz of the home page. The download page for the current alpha release makes no mention of ReactOS's alpha status. Web sites that mention ReactOS often link to the download page, not to the ReactOS web site's home page. Thus, many people never see a warning that ReactOS is currently alpha.

Just as unfortunate, many people don't even know what "alpha release" means. Vicmarcal (?) made a very slick home page for the ReactOS web site. I wonder if the professional look of that web page leads visitors to expect that ReactOS is a stable, solid product.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

middings wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:09 pm many people don't even know what "alpha release" means
As you said, I'm pretty sure it's the main problem.