Is there anything testers can do to help get video drivers in better shape?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Zombiedeth

Is there anything testers can do to help get video drivers in better shape?

Post by Zombiedeth »

Maybe a test suite people could run to isolate particular problems create logs and or screen shots of problems.
I think something like this could be helpful especially if it replaced the shell cutting down on log spam.
Any other ideas guys?

I wonder if a more detailed wiki page could also be a good way keep track of all the current issues because while the Supported Hardware page is good for the basics it's not good for detailed status. Just something simple that could be maintained by testers.
PurpleGurl

Re: Is there anything testers can do to help get video drivers in better shape?

Post by PurpleGurl »

The issue here is not being able to get existing drivers to work. Our default one seems to do its job, and maybe better than the Windows default. It uses 256 colors, but the default one in Windows only does 16 colors.

So, I am curious too about what can be done to get all the proprietary drivers to work. I think the main thing is to just test the drivers, do what you can to make them work, then get as many logs and screenshots as possible. Then go to Jira, check what is there, and add new entries if necessary. Unless of course you encounter an existing report on the issue, then try to give relevant info and evidence if possible. I know they don't want idle chit-chat in there, but if it provides necessary info that is lacking, then sure, add it.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

As things progress on the video driver front it can be challenging to get good screen shots if the gui is not fully functional like in the case of this AMD driver problem.

https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-14927

Like if ReactOS had the ability to just save a numbered screen shot would be really handy.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Some users end up doing photos of problems as well, such as in cases where there are serious problems.