Separation of the user profile from the o/s system drive

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Separation of the user profile from the o/s system drive

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Hoping that some of the configuration failings of MS Windows will be avoided, such as the unfortunate compulsory bundling of the user profile on the o/s system drive. Separation of the user profile to another location/drive although possible, currently causes upgrade problems for Windows and is prohibited by Microsoft.

Losing an o/s drive due to a hardware problem is a major issue but losing all the users' profile data simultaneously can be a catastrophe for many who have experienced such a failure. Forcing user's profiles onto the system drive is inelegant and a kludge is required for networking Windows resources, profiles and users.

An improvement here in ReactOS would prove the superiority of an open source o/s over the monster it is striving to compatible with. More mobile profiles would enable ReactOS to be far more useful in networked environments.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PurpleGurl

Re: Separation of the user profile from the o/s system drive

Post by PurpleGurl »

I hope you don't mind me discussing this in a more global, abstract, or impressionistic way, as your idea overlaps with others and likely should be coordinated together. So I hope a meta-analysis of related ideas is not mistaken for thread hijacking.

This loosely ties in with what I suggested in the past about creating an easy way to manage paths of various things (and is in the User Ideas wiki). My rationale was for those using NAND-based SSDs in case someone wants to mix mechanical and SSDs and split paths with lots of writing from the mostly read-only paths. Anyway, your idea gives even more justification for doing what I suggested.

This also tie in with the ReactOS Update idea. Since we can make our own update system, and since full compatibility with Windows is unnecessary and impossible regarding the updater, then why can't we make ours where placing the user profile wherever we want will not break things?

This can even tie in with the once-proposed cloud idea. You mention that if you can move it wherever you want, then that can include network paths. So if someone ever adapts ROS for a cloud server environment, then this addition can put it one step closer to that.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

No impression of hijacking whatsoever, this is exactly what was suggesting. The current method specifically prevents proper profile portability (PPPP) somewhat crippling Windows - this is to be avoided in ReactOS. It could steal an advantage whilst retaining profile functionality compatible with Windows.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Then the system registry will have to keep absolute path of each user's registry hive.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes, you have a point, unless there is an existing key about the profile drive.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Whole users folders can be moved in 2000 and later. If you move individual user profiles, there is need for separate keys.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2