When will ReactOS x64 available?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

njlyf2011

When will ReactOS x64 available?

Post by njlyf2011 »

I really want to know when ReactOS x64 can run as well as ReactOS x86.
ReactOS MSVC x64 in the Daily Build page does not work properly.
dizt3mp3r

Re: When will ReactOS x64 available?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

There is no date for the 64bit version of ReactOS. The 64bit version is not a priority at the moment.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:08 pm The 64bit version is not a priority at the moment.
64-bit version IS in a priority, but Timo only develops it in a spare time. :roll:
Ancient

Post by Ancient »

njlyf2011 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:14 pm I really want to know when ReactOS x64 can run as well as ReactOS x86.
ReactOS MSVC x64 in the Daily Build page does not work properly.
One day .... hopefully.
njlyf2011

Post by njlyf2011 »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:08 pm There is no date for the 64bit version of ReactOS. The 64bit version is not a priority at the moment.

Why not give priority to the x64 version? 64-bit operating systems have become mainstream, and some operating systems such as Ubuntu have abandoned 32-bit system images in the new default desktop version. If don't support x64, ReactOS may not have a chance to run directly on the new hardware platform.
theuserbl

Post by theuserbl »

njlyf2011 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:17 am Why not give priority to the x64 version? 64-bit operating systems have become mainstream, and some operating systems such as Ubuntu have abandoned 32-bit system images in the new default desktop version. If don't support x64, ReactOS may not have a chance to run directly on the new hardware platform.
Because the goal of ReactOS 1.0 is to be Windows XP / Windows Server 2003 compatible.
Although there exists a 64bit Windows XP, it wasn't used much. The most user used the 32bit Windows XP.

After ReactOS 1.0, there comming new goals like 64bit, support of Win7 and Win10 driver, compatiblity to Win7 and Win10, etc.

But currently ReactOS is still on the way to 1.0.

Greetings
theuserbl
njlyf2011

Post by njlyf2011 »

theuserbl wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:13 am
njlyf2011 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:17 am Why not give priority to the x64 version? 64-bit operating systems have become mainstream, and some operating systems such as Ubuntu have abandoned 32-bit system images in the new default desktop version. If don't support x64, ReactOS may not have a chance to run directly on the new hardware platform.
Because the goal of ReactOS 1.0 is to be Windows XP / Windows Server 2003 compatible.
Although there exists a 64bit Windows XP, it wasn't used much. The most user used the 32bit Windows XP.

After ReactOS 1.0, there comming new goals like 64bit, support of Win7 and Win10 driver, compatiblity to Win7 and Win10, etc.

But currently ReactOS is still on the way to 1.0.

Greetings
theuserbl
Okay....I understand.
Thanks!
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

Given the current status located on the wiki page i'm pretty certain the 64-bit built will boot to desktop long before v1.0.
https://reactos.org/wiki/AMD64

But who knows how long it will take to reach the same level as the 32-bit build. The 64bit build should make it easier to target newer systems that will only support UEFI booting though. Many things will need to come into place to make it usable even after the port is completed win7+ driver support, WOW64 ect.
Quim

Post by Quim »

When 64 bits port will be ready, some of the following programs should be included:

https://bitbucket.org/toptensoftware/win3mu/src

https://github.com/otya128/winevdm

http://toastytech.com/files/setup.html
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

That depends but think of years rather than months.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Ancient

Post by Ancient »

Lloyd499 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:09 am When do you think ROS will be working for daily use?
Under the current development modality, probably never. However, my hope is a shift in development initiative will come. There is nothing wrong with the developers, there aren't enough of them, and they lack time to do a lot of the work. Interest by a corporate or academic sponsor could be helpful. Maybe MIT or some such. It can't just be cash, flooding even a million dollars into ROS would probably not help it as digesting that much cash would cause other issues. Organic reorganization may occur with different thinking about development over time, which may eventually allow ROS development to flower. That no academic institution is interested in ROS and is adopting it, seems odd to me. Even WINE got cash from Valve to develop Proton. Why invest only in WINE when this is an entire operating system which with similar investment could be made to surpass WINE for Valve's purposes. Even SONY may find ROS useful in a future console, everything is Ryzen 64 bit in future consoles.

My hope is ROS eventually attracts useful attention from someone in business or an academic who can help imbue it with the development resources it is starved for without substantially changing it's mission or disrupting current contributors. My attendance here is to witness and see which way ROS goes, it is at a point that within a few years it will be dead, or the most interesting thing since Linux.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Opinions are always that - opinions.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

Ancient wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:14 am Under the current development modality, probably never. However, my hope is a shift in development initiative will come. There is nothing wrong with the developers, there aren't enough of them, and they lack time to do a lot of the work. Interest by a corporate or academic sponsor could be helpful. Maybe MIT or some such. It can't just be cash, flooding even a million dollars into ROS would probably not help it as digesting that much cash would cause other issues. Organic reorganization may occur with different thinking about development over time, which may eventually allow ROS development to flower. That no academic institution is interested in ROS and is adopting it, seems odd to me. Even WINE got cash from Valve to develop Proton. Why invest only in WINE when this is an entire operating system which with similar investment could be made to surpass WINE for Valve's purposes. Even SONY may find ROS useful in a future console, everything is Ryzen 64 bit in future consoles.

My hope is ROS eventually attracts useful attention from someone in business or an academic who can help imbue it with the development resources it is starved for without substantially changing it's mission or disrupting current contributors. My attendance here is to witness and see which way ROS goes, it is at a point that within a few years it will be dead, or the most interesting thing since Linux.
I believe Valve is supporting WINE because it's ready to play games now with the long term goal of making Linux a viable gaming platform. ReactOS is not at that point yet. A hardware compatible USB stack will go a long way towards drawing more man power to the project i'm sure that will be a turning point.
Ancient

Post by Ancient »

Zombiedeth wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:01 am
I believe Valve is supporting WINE because it's ready to play games now with the long term goal of making Linux a viable gaming platform. ReactOS is not at that point yet. A hardware compatible USB stack will go a long way towards drawing more man power to the project i'm sure that will be a turning point.
More or less we agree. ROS has to be easy to try, that requires boot from a USB stick, it requires at least ability to run an open source browser bundled with the operating system, and it requires that at least a few dozen of the most popular software titles people run either run on ROS or ROS has an alternative that runs well.

Currently I'm running Mint OS with Proton in lieu of Windows, and really don't miss Windows much. Linux drivers are much improved, support from AMD is very helpful, Windows support is also much improved thanks to Valve.

Without a try it and see USB boot with bundled browser onto real hardware, ROS can't get a lot of attention imo. The developers here seem to believe USB boot isn't a priority or is too difficult to implement at this time. Personally my belief is not having this is about the most harmful decision made at this time.
cernodile

Post by cernodile »

Ancient wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:24 am
Zombiedeth wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:01 am
The developers here seem to believe USB boot isn't a priority or is too difficult to implement at this time. Personally my belief is not having this is about the most harmful decision made at this time.
It's not like they think it's not a priority, they just don't have the manpower to do it. Even when someone does, it takes quite a bit of time to review the stack as well. USB Boot IS possible using vgal's patches, but they've yet to be merged to actual trunk because of the reason I brought up before.
Last edited by cernodile on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
My working rigs:
Dell Latitude E5430 on 0.4.9-vgal - i5-3340M, USB boot.
Partially working rigs:
Ryzen 7 3700X on B450 board - 0.4.14 boot via preinstall. USB broken.
[ external image ]