ReactOS 0.4.11 (Daily) Congratulations and Issues

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bikhumahtre

ReactOS 0.4.11 (Daily) Congratulations and Issues

Post by Bikhumahtre »

First, I must give a heartfelt congratulations to the ReactOS team for a spectacular update. After trying the stable version of ReactOS 0.4.9 on Virtual Box, I was always unsuccessful in getting it to run.

Now, after recently testing the daily build of 0.4.11 on Virtual Box it installed effortlessly. I was surprised too as I wasn't sure my hardware could even support it, with my CPU being the lowly and obscure FX 6350 from AMD.

From there I played around with the operating system, and it was like a blast to the past for me. I know ReactOS can be considered the equivalent to Windows 2000 and Windows XP, and it was fun playing around with the iconic drivers and programs I used to use.

Everything ran smoothly, until I started playing Youtube videos however. Whether it's the OS's fault or the Browser (Firefox 48), videos lacked sound and were difficult to run on higher resolutions. This culminated in the total crashing of the system, after I attempted to turn the resolution down on one video to 480p.

Therefore, I believe an important fix for 0.4.12 would be to remedy these issues. It would allow ReactOS to be a lot more useable for general browsing, at the very least. I understand that the lack of sound is already an issue that will be fixed, and I cannot wait to play with the software again in the near future. Perhaps even make it my main OS on another computer, as crazy as it sounds ;).

Congratulations once again to the ReactOS team for their undying effort to bring Windows to the masses, free, open source and without draconian spyware!.
dizt3mp3r

Re: ReactOS 0.4.11 (Daily) Congratulations and Issues

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Bikhumahtre wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:11 am It would allow ReactOS to be a lot more useable for general browsing, at the very least.
ReactOS is not ready for any sort of use, at least not yet. If you understand the nature of o/s development then you'd know that something may be fixed today then broken again tomorrow. That is why it is Alpha grade software - ie. NOT ready for use. If something works revel in it, enjoy it, test it but don't try to use it if you expect it to just work.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
PurpleGurl

Re: ReactOS 0.4.11 (Daily) Congratulations and Issues

Post by PurpleGurl »

The issue is in the OS. The sound infrastructure is not complete, and there might not be full support to get 3rd-party video drivers to work properly.

As for the things you suggest, they won't all be addressed in a single release as the jump required is too steep for the current production cadence.